Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My Heart Swelled with Pride....

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday, my three children and I visited my sister-in-law's church for their Wednesday evening service.  Each of my children had to go into a separate class (they are 5,6, and 9).  My 5 year old daughter, Holly, was a little hesitant about not going into class with her brother, but then she just looked at me, I nodded my head to go in, and she pulled a chair at the table with the other children and started doing her thing!  I was so proud of her.  But, the best part was when I went to go get her after service!  The teacher told me that she did wonderful!  She said that she participated and sang and was just a joy to have in class.  The teacher even told me that she participated more than most of the children that come all of the time!  I was elated!  So, that's proof positive that homeschooled children are not timid little mice just because they aren't in a "school" setting. 

by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Replies (11-12):
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad your children had a great experience. I just wanted to point out that being shy is NOT a problem to be fixed. Just because a child does or does not freely talk to others does not mean they have or do not have social skills. That's a totally different thing. This exerpt from this Dr. Sears article:explains:

"Shyness is a personality trait, not a fault. Some of the nicest people I've ever known are shy. These persons tend to be attentive listeners, private people who exude a welcome presence even without saying a word. . .There is nothing wrong, and a lot right, with being shy. Many people don't understand shyness and equate being shy with having a problem. They believe a shy child must suffer from poor self-image. Most of the time this label couldn't be more unfair. Many shy children have a solid self-concept. They have an inner peace that shines; if the extroverts would be quiet long enough they would notice its glow"
tommyjsgirl
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I agree, no worries about venting! :)

Quoting jlassiter29:

Quoting tommyjsgirl:

I totally agree with you and can relate.  I was bullied and moved a lot as well, my husband too.  From what I've heard from other children and what my friends have told me, I am so glad my kids aren't in public schools.

Last year my family was eating outside of a family resturaunt and my two older children started to have a conversation with the little boy at the next table.  He was showing our kids his collections of Pokemon cards and his mom mentioned how they aquire so many from trading with kids at school.  When I mentioned that we home school, she was all like, "Oh well, home schooled children don't have opportunities to socialize."  Funny because my kids were socializing with her kid, and having no issues, lol.  And if I do remember correctly, teachers telling students that school was not "social hour" but a place to learn.  ;)

Quoting jlassiter29:

Quoting tommyjsgirl:

That is too cool :)  It's irritating when people say that home schooled children lack social skills.  My children have no issues being social.  Funny because my husband and I, both only children, both in "brick and mortar" schools always had trouble making friends.  In a lot of ways, I think home schooled children are more confident because there's no bullies or bad teachers!  Kuduos! :)

I was the same way!  I had the hardest time making friends and suffered from bullying in school.  I also moved a lot when I was in elementary school, so that didn't help either.  My children are very social.  I think that when people hear the word "homeschool", they think no television, no music, very religious, etc...  That is not the case in my home.  We do everything everyone else does--all without the worry of bullying and drugs and God knows what else in public or private school. 

I just can't get over how many people are so closed-minded.  It truly amazes me!  Not to mention, rude!  I feel, in my opinion, that everyone has the right to choose what they think is best for their children.  Homeschooling doesn't conform to the "norm" in today's society-and that is fine.  I'm proud to homeschool.  I just wonder if the people that look down on parents or guardians that homeschool even realize how much effort and expense it takes to educate a child.  It takes a lot!  (Sorry for the vent!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN