Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New here, thinking very hard about home schooling...

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:43 PM
  • 28 Replies

I have wanted to home school since my oldest was around 1.. even before then.. But my hubby was so against it.  He has since warmed up to the idea a bit, but still not so for it.  My oldest is now 4, will be 5 in June.  She she is due to start Kindergarten this fall.  I have a younger daughter who is 16 months old.  I got off of the idea to homeschool about a year ago.  I guess because I got scared, and I feel like I couldnt possibly educate my daughter well enough.  I love to teach her new things though, and I think I feel as though I could.  There are so many resources out there now, and I would love to use them.  I have a friend who just recently started homeschooling, so it would definitely help to have someone that understands and goes through it.  My daughter loves scool though (she is in preschool her second year).  And I am worried that she might miss going to school.  She has so many friends, and makes friends easily.  But today I asked her what she thought of moving her sister into her room, and making her sisters room a classroom, so we could do school at home.  She said THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!  So.. I guess she would warm up to it as well. 

But the thing is.. I do not think hubby is for it.  All these stories I hear about teachers taking advantage of their kids just really makes me so upset.  And bullying, and all other crap.. I dont trust anyone with my kids.. And not only that, but the scores are so low around here, and we are not in a great school district at all.  So was your hubby for it?  what did you do to help them understand?  I just want her to have more options than a child that goes to public school.  She is already so bright, I have taught her how to read by sounding the letters out.. and she does so great!  She takes a while, but once she gets it, she really gets it.  I want the best for her. 

What advice do you have for me?  What do I need to know?  I live in VA.. if that matters.  I have a high school diploma, and some college.. I am going to college full time at the moment as well.  I dont know if that matters either. 

by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM

First, check out your state laws. hslda.org or enter Virginia Department of Education.

Read Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year-How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School. Its packed with excellent guidelines for what you should be teaching/what grade, excellent "living" book titles, ideas, tips, etc. The Homeschool For Dummies book (yellow books)  has a ton of info.

If there were any areas that you had problems with in school, start brushing up now.

Start looking around now for a homeschool support group and/or co-op, activities for your kids to be involved in, etc.

Check into your local library and get everyone a card. Good luck to you and welcome to the group!

Concerned101
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Have you considered a small private, religious school, provided you can afford it? Since your daughter is very bright and makes friends easily, perhaps a private school would be good for her.

1busymommy
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 12:08 AM

yes, I have definitely considered it.. but sadly, we cannot afford it :-/  We live on one income for a family of four.  And that income is not much to live off of.  We do get money from the govt for going to school (we were both in the military, and we are using our GI Bills) but its just helping us be able to afford to live.. We still live paycheck to paycheck.  My daughters preschool is already so much, I couldnt imagine paying more than double that amount.  Plus when my youngest starts school, I most definitely cannot afford two tuitions. 

Quoting Concerned101:

Have you considered a small private, religious school, provided you can afford it? Since your daughter is very bright and makes friends easily, perhaps a private school would be good for her.

1busymommy
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Thank you for all of the info!  I will definitely check it out.  It is a little overwhelming and scary.  And its harder bc hubby is just not really for it. 

Quoting Danielle163:

First, check out your state laws. hslda.org or enter Virginia Department of Education.

Read Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year-How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School. Its packed with excellent guidelines for what you should be teaching/what grade, excellent "living" book titles, ideas, tips, etc. The Homeschool For Dummies book (yellow books)  has a ton of info.

If there were any areas that you had problems with in school, start brushing up now.

Start looking around now for a homeschool support group and/or co-op, activities for your kids to be involved in, etc.

Check into your local library and get everyone a card. Good luck to you and welcome to the group!

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM
My DH was not for it at first. I did all of my research, decided which homeschooling approach sounded like the best fit for us, decided on curriculum, made plans for getting the kids plenty of positive social interaction, and then just laid it all out for him. He agreed to let me do it for a year and then reevaluate. By the third month he'd done a complete 180 and is now all for it. I would recommend talking to him about it and really listening to his concerns. Then work on solutions to address his concerns. Homeschooling is becoming more and more mainstream as our public schools get worse, but there is still a stigma. Just address it head on. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janis198
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

wave Hi  :)

1busymommy
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Thank you!  thats the thing though, his reason is just because... He is so childish when it comes to talking about the real stuff.  While I have facts and research to back up my argument, he just responds with because I said so.  Or just because... So yea, I will just try to continue to talk to him I guess.. and get all the info out there and tell him my plans.  I do want to at least try it for a year, and if it doesnt work, then so what, back at square one. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

My DH was not for it at first. I did all of my research, decided which homeschooling approach sounded like the best fit for us, decided on curriculum, made plans for getting the kids plenty of positive social interaction, and then just laid it all out for him. He agreed to let me do it for a year and then reevaluate. By the third month he'd done a complete 180 and is now all for it. I would recommend talking to him about it and really listening to his concerns. Then work on solutions to address his concerns. Homeschooling is becoming more and more mainstream as our public schools get worse, but there is still a stigma. Just address it head on. Good luck!

1busymommy
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Hey!!! :) 

Quoting Janis198:

Janis198
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I think we joined on the same day

Quoting 1busymommy:

Hey!!! :) 

Quoting Janis198:

Janis

1busymommy
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Quoting Janis198:

Lol yea I guess so! I saw a thing on the homepage, and figured I'd join. So are you going to start the homeschooling for your daughter? I'm trying to talk hubby into it..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)