Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New here, thinking very hard about home schooling...

Posted by   + Show Post

I have wanted to home school since my oldest was around 1.. even before then.. But my hubby was so against it.  He has since warmed up to the idea a bit, but still not so for it.  My oldest is now 4, will be 5 in June.  She she is due to start Kindergarten this fall.  I have a younger daughter who is 16 months old.  I got off of the idea to homeschool about a year ago.  I guess because I got scared, and I feel like I couldnt possibly educate my daughter well enough.  I love to teach her new things though, and I think I feel as though I could.  There are so many resources out there now, and I would love to use them.  I have a friend who just recently started homeschooling, so it would definitely help to have someone that understands and goes through it.  My daughter loves scool though (she is in preschool her second year).  And I am worried that she might miss going to school.  She has so many friends, and makes friends easily.  But today I asked her what she thought of moving her sister into her room, and making her sisters room a classroom, so we could do school at home.  She said THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!  So.. I guess she would warm up to it as well. 

But the thing is.. I do not think hubby is for it.  All these stories I hear about teachers taking advantage of their kids just really makes me so upset.  And bullying, and all other crap.. I dont trust anyone with my kids.. And not only that, but the scores are so low around here, and we are not in a great school district at all.  So was your hubby for it?  what did you do to help them understand?  I just want her to have more options than a child that goes to public school.  She is already so bright, I have taught her how to read by sounding the letters out.. and she does so great!  She takes a while, but once she gets it, she really gets it.  I want the best for her. 

What advice do you have for me?  What do I need to know?  I live in VA.. if that matters.  I have a high school diploma, and some college.. I am going to college full time at the moment as well.  I dont know if that matters either. 

by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (21-28):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

My opinion isn't going to popular, I'm sure.

Homeschooling isn't a hill you should let your marriage die on. Your husband is as much her parent as you are and, as such, deserves just as much input into her education.

I also do not think it is fair to pull her out of a working school environment she is thriving in.

*shew* There, I said it. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Are you suggesting she completely buck her husband on this, take the child out of school, and homeschool behind his back - against his wishes. Even if she can do this legally (yes, preschool isn't required), it's a recipe for disaster in the marriage.

I probably misunderstood your reply and sincerely apologize if I did.

Quoting hottmommi42:

What she is saying is know your laws. In WA state for example, kids do not have to be enrolled in school until the school year they turn 8. So, legally I don't have to enroll my son till he is 9, and my daughter till she is 5 (based upon the august 31 cut off dates the state established)
There is no law that says kindergarten is required. You cannot go to jail if your child is under the age of enrollment and you have not put them in school.
It will buy you some extra time with your girls, and give you a chance to teach them on the sly, when dh asks what you guys are.doing all day, dazzle him.

Quoting 1busymommy:

Quoting Gailll:

Read, read, read. Pre-school has life-long negative effects on people. I would think it would be hard to talk someone into the benefits of homeschooling when the mother has the child in pre-school. If you check your state law school attendance may not be required until age 7. That gives you a long time to become informed, get involved with homeschooling people, and show your husband you can manage teaching your children.

Since your daughter likes the pre-school experience you can get involved in play groups and homeschool groups. If your city has Meet-up there may be several groups to choose from. If not, you could start a group.

I'm a little confused...

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

hottmommi42
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

The way I read it (poster maybe could clarify?) kiddo isn't even in school yet. So, if she's not in school, why put her in? It doesn't sound like he has decided that this isn't going to happen at all, it sounds like he doesn't understand. It sounds like he is like the rest of Americans who don't homeschool who believe that mommy's sole job is to birth, feed, and ship children off (yes, being a bit cynical). Nothing gets me hotter than a husband acting in an unloving way towards his wife (as it seems he is by stating she is not capable) than a wife disrespecting a husband. But, if it's done the right way, she'll gain some valuable time, and an ego boost, kiddo will get to have a little bit more time at home (which really, they all need) and husband can maybe see that momma's are more than walking uteri. 

LOL, AutymsMommy, you never insult me! I actually appriciate your viewpoints! I truely agree with you that if approached incorrectly would be disasterous, however, its a proven fact that men need more time to process emotional decisios than women. Not putting LO in prek or k may be just the time that is needed for everyone. I am NOT suggesting (although it does kind of sound that way, sorry!) that kiddo falls behind academically, emotionally, or socially. If the state says age 6, then obviously a decision should be made in the intrest of the child, not the intrest of what one parent believes over the other. 

IDK if that makes any more sense... 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Are you suggesting she completely buck her husband on this, take the child out of school, and homeschool behind his back - against his wishes. Even if she can do this legally (yes, preschool isn't required), it's a recipe for disaster in the marriage.

Quoting hottmommi42:

What she is saying is know your laws. In WA state for example, kids do not have to be enrolled in school until the school year they turn 8. So, legally I don't have to enroll my son till he is 9, and my daughter till she is 5 (based upon the august 31 cut off dates the state established)
There is no law that says kindergarten is required. You cannot go to jail if your child is under the age of enrollment and you have not put them in school.
It will buy you some extra time with your girls, and give you a chance to teach them on the sly, when dh asks what you guys are.doing all day, dazzle him.

Quoting 1busymommy:

Quoting Gailll:

Read, read, read. Pre-school has life-long negative effects on people. I would think it would be hard to talk someone into the benefits of homeschooling when the mother has the child in pre-school. If you check your state law school attendance may not be required until age 7. That gives you a long time to become informed, get involved with homeschooling people, and show your husband you can manage teaching your children.

Since your daughter likes the pre-school experience you can get involved in play groups and homeschool groups. If your city has Meet-up there may be several groups to choose from. If not, you could start a group.

I'm a little confused...

hottmommi42
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I am not on PC very often, so I don't see peoples siggy's, YOurs is AWESOME!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My opinion isn't going to popular, I'm sure.

Homeschooling isn't a hill you should let your marriage die on. Your husband is as much her parent as you are and, as such, deserves just as much input into her education.

I also do not think it is fair to pull her out of a working school environment she is thriving in.

*shew* There, I said it. Lol.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I *think* the OP stated the child was in her second year of preschool?

Quoting hottmommi42:

The way I read it (poster maybe could clarify?) kiddo isn't even in school yet. So, if she's not in school, why put her in? It doesn't sound like he has decided that this isn't going to happen at all, it sounds like he doesn't understand. It sounds like he is like the rest of Americans who don't homeschool who believe that mommy's sole job is to birth, feed, and ship children off (yes, being a bit cynical). Nothing gets me hotter than a husband acting in an unloving way towards his wife (as it seems he is by stating she is not capable) than a wife disrespecting a husband. But, if it's done the right way, she'll gain some valuable time, and an ego boost, kiddo will get to have a little bit more time at home (which really, they all need) and husband can maybe see that momma's are more than walking uteri. 

LOL, AutymsMommy, you never insult me! I actually appriciate your viewpoints! I truely agree with you that if approached incorrectly would be disasterous, however, its a proven fact that men need more time to process emotional decisios than women. Not putting LO in prek or k may be just the time that is needed for everyone. I am NOT suggesting (although it does kind of sound that way, sorry!) that kiddo falls behind academically, emotionally, or socially. If the state says age 6, then obviously a decision should be made in the intrest of the child, not the intrest of what one parent believes over the other. 

IDK if that makes any more sense... 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting hottmommi42:

Quoting 1busymommy:

Quoting Gailll:

I'm a little confused...

1busymommy
by Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 6:48 AM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

She is in her second year of preschool.. I put her in when she was 3. I don't consider that really school though. But to each their own. Plus it's a private school at a church.
1busymommy
by Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

I would never do anything that my husband did not agree on. But I also have a rule in the house.. That if I am for one thing, and he is not, we both have to have something to back up our reasons. For instance, I was for ERF in the cars eat, and he was not. I did the research, even though he did not agree, it was the result, bc in the end he did not do any research. I have since talked to him more about it. He has said that he doesn't want to do it right now bc he doesn't think we need to take on another thing. So I dug deeper into his feelings, and found out its bc the house is not clean all the time, and he wants it clean. I told him that's a stupid reason, bc I am a mom first, not a housewife first. The reason the house Is not always spotless, is because I do spend that time with the girls doing crafts, activities and more. And some learning with my oldest as well. So now he has decided he will think about it. Especially after I told him about the kindergartener in our area that stabbed another kindergartner only 5 years old, with scissors. And about the teacher that just got caught feeding his students his semen for so many years. It's sick. If we were in an area with a good school system, then I'd be for it, but we are just not, and we cannot afford private school at 5,000 a child. :/. I just hope he is for me on this, I just want what is best for our children, and they are not going to get the same education in a class with 20 other kids as they would on on one with me and their father. I could teach them so much more, hands on, and with experience.
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Mothers have a natural instinct when it comes to their own children...trust it.  You know your husband better than anyone else, so you will know the best way to talk to him.  But here are some statistics if that will help..Most men respond best to logic rather than instinct. :-)

Thinking About Home Schooling? Teachers Are

Public Schooled Children Unable To Do Basic Math

A Teacher Explains Why The School System Is Failing Our Kids

A Home School Mom Explains

Some Statistics

Also keep in mind that home school is not the class room...we do not want to duplicate the above mentioned mistakes.  We do much better than that.  The following article explains

How To Home School (This article contains tuns of information from pre K through 12Th grade...so be sure to book mark it)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN