Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm 90% sure I'd like to homeschool. I have a 4yr old, 2 yr old and 8month old. I'm simply starting to do research... There is so much out there regarding curriculum. Can I get any suggestions regarding what is good, worth the money and effective?

by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Replies (11-18):
Anna92464
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

In the past I have used Calvert and loved it.  If you want an approach that is classical,  with workbooks, children's classics, a good teacher's guide, it is pricey but if you can afford it, very much worth it.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that I felt there was too much  to do, and I like a more relaxed approach, but my kids liked it, and it helped me build confidence.  I used Oak Meadow for a couple of years. We liked it too.  It was creative, hands on, very flexible in the younger grades, and less "schoolish" if that makes sense. I loved it's gentle approach to life.  What I didn't like was that it was a lot of prep work for me, and if I didn't have time, that wasn't good.  Right now I am using Catholic Heritage.  It is Catholic (which we are), and has a very gentle approach, in that it doesn't make you go crazy trying to cover too much, and yet, my son is learning steadily and on most days without too many tears. 

globalhorse45
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I plan on using Exploring Science for Pre-K, then Into Science for Kindergarten (Elemental Publishing) plus my Magic School Bus series.  Pearson stuff for other curriculum and then for Islamic Studies/Arabic Ad-Duha Institiute. 

Danielle163
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Singapore Math (mastery) is very good. It encourages critical thinking skills. Teaching Textbooks (spiral) are good, too. They explain everything....I sometimes have trouble finding the right words to explain concepts to DD so I don't have to worry about that using TT. We use both.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I make up my own but here is a bump!

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Feb. 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Wow, thanks. I hadn't even heard of cle so thanks!

Quoting calimom1123:

I use abeka. It is great especially for prek-3rd grade. My dd likes it and does very well. We dont do everything the teachers manual says just a simple lesson I teach her and she does her work. Its usually one 1 page of seatwork in each subject in the early years. We also used Christian light education. It does a great job teaching but not as colorful. It is also ahead acedemically than abeka. I like that it breaks things up into small chunks as opposed to all rules thrown at you at once. Dd is doing abeka 4th la which is the same as cle 3rd grade. I have both and I prefer cle la at this level. I think all abeka up to 3rd is great. Although cle has a broader range of what they learn in each grade. I love both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM

dont buy anything , use the interent its free!! well except wht you have to pay a month to use it!haha

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I much prefer the curriculum created by home educators because home school is not the class room.

Language Arts, Reading, and Phonics: Ring Around The Phonics

Math: Math U See

But for preK school there is no need to purchase any curriculum.  Games and real life experience is the best teacher.  For example

• coloring with them can be used to prepare dexterity for future writing lessons. It can also teach them their colors
  • Teach the alphabet with the alphabet song as you go for walks
  • While cooking show them what 1/2 cup is ext
  • Sequencing 
  • Read to them daily pointing to the words as you read
  • Teach letter recognition by drawing the letters in the sand (after they know the alphabet), and point out letters as you read to them
sweetserenit292
by Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I have one starting K and I am going to use Abeka for Reading, All about Spelling / Reading for phonics, Math U See, Grapevine Bible studies

Science and SS just use free stuff offline.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)