Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many had a bad experience...

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM
  • 25 Replies

in a public school and decided to homeschool?

Just wondering.  WE sent our first son to school with the idea that public school wasn't perfect, but I could teach him whatever they were missing in the evenings and weekends.  BUT all I seemed to get was the burned out, tired and cranky child in the evenings who wasn't responsive to that at all!

I was worried about taking him out in the middle of a school year, but when I discussed the problems I was having with an elementary teacher in the family, she agreed that action needed to be taken immediately.  We began cyber-schooling at Christmas break with K12.   So far we love it.  It's a little more structured than what they sold (or than what I like) but we're working through that.

Now my problem is what to do with my soon-to-be-kindergartener.  We thought we would just do k12 with him as well, but there was this court case in PA about wether everything should be paid for or not since kindergarten isn't mandatory.

We'll see how things work out!

I'd really love to hear the stories of others!

by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

We had so many isues - try to find one of the "Why do you homeschool?" Threads - basically they wouldn't provide any assistance to DS until he completely failed. I wouldn't allow that to happen and pulled him out.

oredeb
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM

isnt mandatory age 6?

heck keep him home and teach him!, how old is he? you can teach him all he needs just from sites on the internet, heres a scope and sequence that would give you an idea of what they learn in each grade (just an idea) http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study?wbredirect=1&Itemid=176

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I hated school as a kid & didn't want to send my oldest to PS but didn't think I could teach him myself because he has Autism. When he was in the 6Th grade he begged me not to make him go back & I learned about homeschooling, so that was what we did. That was 6 years age & my only regret is that I sent him in the first place, I should have never doubted myself back then. My younger 2 have never attended PS or any school for that matter & my DD that is 8 has more confidence in herself then I have ever seen in an adult let alone an 8y/o.

Mom2theboy1994
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM
We actually had no problems with public school. Our schools are very good. My son just enjoys homeschooling. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Yes we did!

Everything was great for my daughter until she went into middle school. Up until then she loved school and made straight A's!  She started middle school and things changed almost instantly. The school she went too had some of the kids she went to elementary with but it also mixed in kids from 2 other elementary schools. There was a group of boys and a couple of girls too that picked her out from the start and started bullying her. At first it didn't really bother her too much. She has always been really good at ignoring things. But I could see small changes in her in 7th grade. She didn' t like school as well and her grades were slipping. She also started having migraines and lots of problems with her stomach. I knew something was going on but she wouldn't tell me what. About 6 weeks into her 8th grade year she finally told me about the bullying. I had her write down everything that had been done and said to her and I went and talked to the principal. He told me he would take care of it and I believed him. I'd taught in public school for 10 years and I always felt I could trust the principal to handle things like this and they did, I thought this would be the same. He gave the boys each 2 days of D-hall and that was it. The bullying continued and despite her filing complaints and me being the principals office every day almost, it continued. One day I picked her up after school and she looked awful. I could tell she had been crying and I knew something was very wrong. When I asked her what wrong at first she just said nothing. But I kept pushing her. Finally she broke and told me the ring leader of that group of boys had come up to her after lunch while they were outside waiting on the next bell and stuck his hand down the front of her pants! I asked her if she had told someone and she said a teach saw it happen and took him to the principal. They never once took her aside and asked if she was okay, got her side of the story, or called me. I was LIVID! I dropped my then 18 month old son off at my sisters and my daughter and I went back to the school. The principal played it off like no big deal and said the boy had been suspended for 2 days and it wouldn't happen again! That made me even more mad! So I called my husband and we decided to call the police. He headed that direction and I called the police right there in the principals office of the school. We filed charges on him and I pulled her out of that school that day. I couldn't set back and let my child stay in a school that didn't and wouldn't protect her. She finished the school year at a private school and then we started homeschooling the next year! We love it and I will continue to homeschool her until she graduates and homeschool the rest of my kids as well!

Venanya
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I have relatively little problems with public school for my two oldest children, who still attend public school. They love being around friends, joining clubs, playing sports, etc. My youngest, on the other hand, had so many issues that public school became an impossibility for us. It was him against them with us in the middle taking fire from both sides. 

Kaylon
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

We did have problems with public school.  Within the first month of my youngest son going to the Pre-K program TWO teachers (main teacher and an aide) left him on the play ground while the class went back into the school building.   Luckily, there were a group of JR high boys practicing for football near by and saw my son.  They returned him to the school building.  I get a call from the teacher and she wanted me to come to the school and spank my son.    There were no apologies from the teachers or principles for what happened.  I was glad my son was okay and not hurt because the playground is by a creek and busy highway without any fencing.    

We also had some dealings with my oldest's teacher.  He was getting bored in Kindergarten and I asked if they had tested him and she said yes, he passed everything.  SO I asked for him to be moved to 1st grade and then was told by the teacher that he was not SOCIALLY ready for 1st grade.   Needless to say, husband and I went the next day and withdrew them.    Now, a little over a year later, we are very happy with our homeschooling jounrey. 

noraa21
by Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

We have had problems from the get go, teachers not following my DS IEP, teachers intimidating my DS, a principal accusing me of never have read to my DS when he was little or making those early vocabulary connections because that is the only reason why he would be struggling with reading at that time (3rd grade), up to last year when DS was bullied all year long and the school not doing anything about it.  I am just sorry it took me so long to see the light and pull him out.

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I personally hated school. I loved college. I knew I would always homeschool.

Jeremmy
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:48 PM

No problems here because we started right off the bat with homeschooling! Our school system is atrocious; one of the worst in the country. My son loves school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)