Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many had a bad experience...

Posted by   + Show Post

in a public school and decided to homeschool?

Just wondering.  WE sent our first son to school with the idea that public school wasn't perfect, but I could teach him whatever they were missing in the evenings and weekends.  BUT all I seemed to get was the burned out, tired and cranky child in the evenings who wasn't responsive to that at all!

I was worried about taking him out in the middle of a school year, but when I discussed the problems I was having with an elementary teacher in the family, she agreed that action needed to be taken immediately.  We began cyber-schooling at Christmas break with K12.   So far we love it.  It's a little more structured than what they sold (or than what I like) but we're working through that.

Now my problem is what to do with my soon-to-be-kindergartener.  We thought we would just do k12 with him as well, but there was this court case in PA about wether everything should be paid for or not since kindergarten isn't mandatory.

We'll see how things work out!

I'd really love to hear the stories of others!

by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Replies (21-25):
ViridianSoul
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM

My experience in public schools wasn't horrid, but looking back (even fresh out of HS), I realized I learned absolutely NOTHING. Every year was a repeat of the last one for at least the first half of the year, making it feel like I was in the previous grade the entire time. I didn't get anything out of public schooling and I found it extremely restrictive and boring.

By the time I got to HS, I ended up skipping most of my classes in favor of being a library assistant, all day long. My grandmother was the librarian, so I'm sure that was a big help in my being "allowed" to skip my classes. Despite not being in class, I still pulled an Honor Roll average all through school, and I generally had my work done far in advance of what the classes were actually "teaching".

There were some other things I also took issue with growing up, especially certain materials that were taught inappropriately. Some of these go against my beliefs, and I was offended that I was forced to learn them and my beliefs and opinions had absolutely no value whatsoever.

I want to be free to teach my children how *I* want, not how the school/government says they should be taught. I want them to learn the things I choose, not whatever the government wants. I don't, for example, feel that sex education in grade school is appropriate, and I'm not going to fight with teachers over not teaching it to my child(ren). I will do it my OWN way, and in the way that's best for my family, with our own morals and beliefs. For example...I don't want my child(ren) growing up thinking sex before marriage is okay so long as you're "safe" just because the school said so. I want them to grow up knowing and understanding that sexual acts are sacred and meant to be only between two loving, committed people...not a split second decision on the spur of the moment, with the viewpoint of personal gratification and nothing else in mind.

I also don't want my child(ren) to be bored when they're at school like I did, so I decided homeschooling would be best for us.

kimscorner
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Intersting you said that.  My 17 year old son and I was talking about high school last week.  He graduates in May this year.  But, he made that EXACT same comment last week in our conversation!

Quoting ViridianSoul:

My experience in public schools wasn't horrid, but looking back (even fresh out of HS), I realized I learned absolutely NOTHING. Every year was a repeat of the last one for at least the first half of the year, making it feel like I was in the previous grade the entire time. I didn't get anything out of public schooling and I found it extremely restrictive and boring.

By the time I got to HS, I ended up skipping most of my classes in favor of being a library assistant, all day long. My grandmother was the librarian, so I'm sure that was a big help in my being "allowed" to skip my classes. Despite not being in class, I still pulled an Honor Roll average all through school, and I generally had my work done far in advance of what the classes were actually "teaching".

There were some other things I also took issue with growing up, especially certain materials that were taught inappropriately. Some of these go against my beliefs, and I was offended that I was forced to learn them and my beliefs and opinions had absolutely no value whatsoever.

I want to be free to teach my children how *I* want, not how the school/government says they should be taught. I want them to learn the things I choose, not whatever the government wants. I don't, for example, feel that sex education in grade school is appropriate, and I'm not going to fight with teachers over not teaching it to my child(ren). I will do it my OWN way, and in the way that's best for my family, with our own morals and beliefs. For example...I don't want my child(ren) growing up thinking sex before marriage is okay so long as you're "safe" just because the school said so. I want them to grow up knowing and understanding that sexual acts are sacred and meant to be only between two loving, committed people...not a split second decision on the spur of the moment, with the viewpoint of personal gratification and nothing else in mind.

I also don't want my child(ren) to be bored when they're at school like I did, so I decided homeschooling would be best for us.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

swizzlefiz
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM

We pulled our DD out of public school kindergarten.  We bought our home in "one of the best school districts."  A lot of good that did!  Her PE teacher wouldn't allow kids to drink water during the 1+ hour PE class and my DD actually got rewarded for turning in a friend who got a drink when she went to the bathroom.  The principal of the school told me I couldn't buckle my DD until I'd pulled out onto the street(from the carpool in the parking lot).  That was enough for me.  I did research for a couple of months and pulled her after our trial run over spring break.  BEST decision ever!  We used clicknread.com to help with reading.  That was the only area I was unsure of.

Kaylon
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

yes ma'am..  Thank goodness my husband was off that day and was highly pissed.  I was shaking.. on the way to the school..I was so mad.  Hubby said no way will I spank my son for your wrong doings.  If anyone were going to need a spanking it would be you, the teacher, the one who LEFT him on the play ground after you were to do a head count and make sure you had all the students.  Ah.. so needless to say I can't stand the public schools here. :) 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

They wanted you to spank him?  For their gross negligence?  I'd have been appalled!

Good for you!

Quoting Kaylon:

We did have problems with public school.  Within the first month of my youngest son going to the Pre-K program TWO teachers (main teacher and an aide) left him on the play ground while the class went back into the school building.   Luckily, there were a group of JR high boys practicing for football near by and saw my son.  They returned him to the school building.  I get a call from the teacher and she wanted me to come to the school and spank my son.    There were no apologies from the teachers or principles for what happened.  I was glad my son was okay and not hurt because the playground is by a creek and busy highway without any fencing.    

We also had some dealings with my oldest's teacher.  He was getting bored in Kindergarten and I asked if they had tested him and she said yes, he passed everything.  SO I asked for him to be moved to 1st grade and then was told by the teacher that he was not SOCIALLY ready for 1st grade.   Needless to say, husband and I went the next day and withdrew them.    Now, a little over a year later, we are very happy with our homeschooling jounrey. 

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM

We had issues at ps and decided to hs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN