Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

*brag* from one of "those" homeschoolers... LOL

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

I put "those" in quotes because, though I do choose and teach all our own curriculum, get it rhough a Charter School. I know some homeschoolers dont go into grades at all but being that the boys were in public school they EXPECT report cards still.

Anyway, we only do semester report cards. I turn in one page of work per subject per month - so for one semester it would  5 math pages, 5 Science, etc. ... Then the kids talk to our EC and she determines a grade. She knows MY policy of not accepting anything below a B from the kids but DS2 really struggles and I flatout tell her, He has C, D or even F work.

Well, for the FIRST TIME EVER.....

drum roll.....

bigger drum roll.....

DS2 HONESTLY EARNED ALL As and Bs!!ALL his grades were AWESOME! We have finally found curriculum that clicks andhe is ROCKING it!

As = Math (from an F last year), Science & P.E.

Bs = Language Arts & Social Studies

DS1 and DD both got straight As... However, they always do. So to the kids- we celebrated all of them - went out for ice cream. But I really had to share about Sean's progress!

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Good for him!

calimom1123
by Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM
How awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM

wowowowow jinx!!!!!! yea!!!!! are you gona give him a dollar per As and Bs??!hahahaa thats so great!! and i dont see anything wrong with doing grades, ive seen some kids work better cuz they get graded! they feel like there accomplishing something.

so neat!!!!!!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM
What they get, in addition to ice cream, is more freedom in their work.

Ex:If they are working hard and getting good grades, then I stop making them ask for breaks, they just take one as needed. I don't make them bring me every subject before starting the next one I only check it at the end of the day. If they start slacking off, or things aren't done when I check, they lose these priviledges.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Shameless bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)