Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeschool method

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 16 so I decided to make a daily plan for her schoolwork each day and let her decide what time and in which order she does each subject. So far this has worked really well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mom2theboy1994
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM
I have a strict schedule for my son who is 17 also. He just works more productively that way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Very relaxed here with my almost-11-year-old 5th grader.  3-4 days a week we do math, spelling, grammar, reading, and either science, geography, or history.  It takes about 2 hours.  Afternoons are free for him to pursue his interests (and he has many).  1-2 days a week we go on a field trip (this week we went to the NY Hall of Science and the Museum of American Finance on Wall Street for a homeschool group class on Financial Markets).   

We love it.  

jjchick75
by Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

This is exactly what we do only I have a 15 year old daughter! It works very well for us!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Very relaxed here with my almost-11-year-old 5th grader.  3-4 days a week we do math, spelling, grammar, reading, and either science, geography, or history.  It takes about 2 hours.  Afternoons are free for him to pursue his interests (and he has many).  1-2 days a week we go on a field trip (this week we went to the NY Hall of Science and the Museum of American Finance on Wall Street for a homeschool group class on Financial Markets).   

We love it.  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

We work on a loop schedule and strive to be rigorous. Our children are 10 and 2. She can pursue her interests AFTER she finished the work required of her :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM
We are only first grade, so I let her do her work when she wants for the most part right now, as long as she gets it done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rose23113
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I have a strict schedule for my son who is 17 also. He just works more productively that way!

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Our curriculum is pretty interactive so I give my dd9 her independent work (math, handwriting, Greek, reading, independent history and science reading) first, then we go over that (math correction, narration). Afterwards, we do our "discussion" subjects (history, grammar, poetry, Bible) and science experiments together. I save the read-aloud I do for last to encourage her to keep on task. She loves me to read to her, despite her being able to read to herself.

I'm sure this will all change as she approaches middle school age and is more independent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)