Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Counting

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM
  • 6 Replies

As I was planning out my sons "Schedual" for next weeks lessons and I realized my son can add and subtract 2 digit numbers, and some multiplying (we dont work on multiplication as a lesson he just enjoys learning it on his own time) but we've never worked on counting by 2s,5s,and 10s. What is the reasoning behind children learning this? I noticed its a big deal in the public school system but Im not sure why. Should I put his regular math lessons on hold and begin teaching him these or is it ok to "skip"?

by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I think skip counting helps in life. Like a clock is by 5's which is how I'm teaching my dd time right now. Then counting money is easier for her when she gets to count pennies by 2's instead of individually. It obviously helps with nickels and dimes being able to skip count by 5 & 10.

I wouldn't say hold off up your regular lessons, maybe just make it a point to do things by skip counting during your reg life. Unless you feel it would be easier for them to focus solely on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Skip counting makes multiplication so much faster. It also reinforced how multiplication works for DD.

As PP said, for counting money, its awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Plus skip counting is just fun!

oredeb
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

helps learn times tables, division, reading a clock, reading a thermometer,

heres some games  http://www.fi.edu/pieces/knox/skipcounting.htm

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I love the song idea, When i did a search to find it with music I found this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYxfltyPgg I think it will do great. Thank you so much ladies.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I agree with PPs. My just turned 7yo has a small problem doing it. 8(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN