Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling a special needs child

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM
  • 18 Replies

Right now my 4 year old attends school, he goes to a PPCD (preschool program for children with disabilities) class and they have slowly started integrating him into the pre-k class. He can (and probably will) stay in PPCD until he ages out at 6 (if so, there will be no Kindergarten for him, he would just go directly to 1st Grade). 

DH has brought up me homeschooling him (which is amazing in itself because in the past, he's been deadset against it). He is on the spectrum (well, we have conflicting diagnosis' right now) and has SPD and although he is a very sweet, loving boy, he has some behavioral problems (that sounds bad, but it's hard to explain without going into great detail) and there has yet to be any success in changing that. He's better at home (though believe me he has his moments!) because it's quieter and he does not have to deal with other kids and the noise and such.

I wanted to put him through K12, because frankly I don't trust myself to have the skills or the patience to teach--or to even come up with a curriculuum for him (however I have a friend who homeschools and she has offered to help me figure things out), but apparently for my state, there isn't a program available until 3rd grade. If there's a way around that, someone let me know, heh.

Anyway, I just wondered what your experience was. How would you recommend putting together a curriculuum? What sites do you recommend for supplies, tools, etc?

by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
globalhorse45
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM

BUMP!

thatgirl70
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Thank you for the bump! :)

5BMom
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM
I have a 3.5 year old with SPD (mild) and let me tell you... You do not want K12, in my opinion. It is too structured and too much like school... determine how he learns best before committing to anything... Figure out his interests, his levels in all areas, and take the K year to get your feet wet. As long as you have the 3Rs covered for K, you are good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

What is SPD ? I used to work with children with disabilities . I was a home health care provider and certified to assist with all sorts of therapy. I am not familar with what SPD is but I may be able to help with at least meathods. Although I am no homeschool pro.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I feel you, I have 2 on the Autism spectrum, we unschool.

5BMom
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM
SPD is 'sensory processing disorder'. It is often, but not always, associated with autism. In my dd's case, it stands alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Quoting 5BMom:

I have a 3.5 year old with SPD (mild) and let me tell you... You do not want K12, in my opinion. It is too structured and too much like school... determine how he learns best before committing to anything... Figure out his interests, his levels in all areas, and take the K year to get your feet wet. As long as you have the 3Rs covered for K, you are good.

Thank you for the advice--and the tip! I want him structured, but I know he can't have too much structure. I will definitely get something figured out.

thatgirl70
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Quoting sew4fun:

What is SPD ? I used to work with children with disabilities . I was a home health care provider and certified to assist with all sorts of therapy. I am not familar with what SPD is but I may be able to help with at least meathods. Although I am no homeschool pro.

Someone already answered, but it's sensory processing disorder (formerly known as sensory intergration disorder). I think it's relatively new, at least as far as being known about (though I'm sure it's been around for ages). My son's school (well the school district) won't even recognize it as an adequate reason to provide aid. I mean they do (he has an IEP), but he'd receive more aid if they recognized his autism.

thatgirl70
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I feel you, I have 2 on the Autism spectrum, we unschool.

What's your experience with that?

5BMom
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 1:13 AM
There is so much out there... What works for my SPD kiddo is the Charlotte Mason method... We follow the early years guide at www.simplycharlottemason.com right now... But will be transitioning to Sonlight next fall, tweaking it to follow CM. If you want, you can message me and I will give you my facebook. I post a lot of what we do on there.

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting 5BMom:

Thank you for the advice--and the tip! I want him structured, but I know he can't have too much structure. I will definitely get something figured out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN