Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling a special needs child

Posted by   + Show Post

Right now my 4 year old attends school, he goes to a PPCD (preschool program for children with disabilities) class and they have slowly started integrating him into the pre-k class. He can (and probably will) stay in PPCD until he ages out at 6 (if so, there will be no Kindergarten for him, he would just go directly to 1st Grade). 

DH has brought up me homeschooling him (which is amazing in itself because in the past, he's been deadset against it). He is on the spectrum (well, we have conflicting diagnosis' right now) and has SPD and although he is a very sweet, loving boy, he has some behavioral problems (that sounds bad, but it's hard to explain without going into great detail) and there has yet to be any success in changing that. He's better at home (though believe me he has his moments!) because it's quieter and he does not have to deal with other kids and the noise and such.

I wanted to put him through K12, because frankly I don't trust myself to have the skills or the patience to teach--or to even come up with a curriculuum for him (however I have a friend who homeschools and she has offered to help me figure things out), but apparently for my state, there isn't a program available until 3rd grade. If there's a way around that, someone let me know, heh.

Anyway, I just wondered what your experience was. How would you recommend putting together a curriculuum? What sites do you recommend for supplies, tools, etc?

by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Replies (11-18):
Schleetle
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I'm homeschooling my two boys one with HF ASD, the other with ADHD/GAD. I am using k12, and I dislike k12. I don't feel the program (in this area, bc they are different everywhere) is as organized as it should be. I also think it's a lot of the crappy " teach to test" public school curriculum... Doing k12 has opened my eyes to how ridiculous the curriculum really is first hand. That being said using it as a backup/guide has been helpful I teach my way on my own, and use k12s assignments to keep me on track, and to have their progress checked into the school district. I do however teach every lesson to mastery, and spend extra time to make sure my boys know, and completely understand the concepts of each lesson which (here) k12 seems to imply to discourage. I am not going to lie, and pretend like my boys have finished things they have not just to move along at the pace they want. Just to think if my sons were in the classroom the teacher would have no choice to stop, and help the kids learn because of the pressure to "hurry up" according to the district's blanket schedule... Well I am just going off on a tangent, but it's always good to be aware of what to expect before you go into it. GL.

gamermom81
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Amblesideonline has free charlotte mason stuff enough to almost completely do it the free
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM
I home educate both my special needs child (10 y/o Aspie/SPD) and my 7 y/o neuro-typical. I see my son flourishing in an environment he is completely comfortable with. I can not conceive of him succeeding in a PS situation.....too much pressure 4 his anxiety, too much judgement, too many distractions, etc. Instead we can focus on his strengths (computer programming & sciences) and gently steer him through his challenges. We do cooperative classes 2x/week.

Furthermore spectrum kids tend to be visual learners, so we do lots of lapbooking. My oldest is at about 7th grade level on average w/ some subjects a little behind and some at college level. I love the flexibility of HS. I don't have to make him fit into a preconceived box. Instead he can build confidence and self-esteem by letting him spread his wings.

I'm here for you!
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting usmom3:

I feel you, I have 2 on the Autism spectrum, we unschool.

What's your experience with that?

My oldest went to PS up to the middle of the 6Th grade & it ruined his love of learning, so traditional homeschooling was never going to work for us (plus I didn't want to do things like the PS). We started as eclectic (because my hubby was not comfortable with unschooling at that time) over the years we transitioned to unschooling. My oldest loves it & my younger 2 don't know any other way really. I know that most people when speaking of Autistic people stress that rigid structure is the key but for my sons it gives them so much stress & anxiety that we have a very relaxed structure that works very well for them.  

sew4fun
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Oh Ok that is somewhat where my thinking was going. I do have a little experiance in similar areas, although it was years ago and mostly pertained to life skills therapy. I will look through some things and see if maybe I can come up with some suggestions that may help you .

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting sew4fun:

What is SPD ? I used to work with children with disabilities . I was a home health care provider and certified to assist with all sorts of therapy. I am not familar with what SPD is but I may be able to help with at least meathods. Although I am no homeschool pro.

Someone already answered, but it's sensory processing disorder (formerly known as sensory intergration disorder). I think it's relatively new, at least as far as being known about (though I'm sure it's been around for ages). My son's school (well the school district) won't even recognize it as an adequate reason to provide aid. I mean they do (he has an IEP), but he'd receive more aid if they recognized his autism.

Jjmill5
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM
My ds is almost 5 and I have been homeschooling with Sonlight this year, my plan is to repeat this program next year and add in learning to read. We go Tuesday to find if he has a diagnosis beyond speech delay
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 2:12 PM

It sounds hard but I'm sure you can help him at home! 8) Good luck. All these ladies are giving such good advice.

buzymom93
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM

my son has Regulatory Disorder and it makes it tough.. i tried him in ps for kindergarten and it only lasted a couple of months.. it was way way too stressful for him.. so i pulled him back out.. we are in 1st grade now and are taking it slow.. i have to go at his pace, if he gets pushed, he gets so stressed and shuts down.. we just started the workbox system and he likes it so far...

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, animal loving boys... Mario, 18yrs, and Isaiah, 6yrs

Check out my blog:    http://ourcrazyhomeschoollife.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN