Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is YOUR method?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM
  • 30 Replies

We are traditionally scholastic with a heavy lean on STEM areas; maybe a bit of a rogue classical feel (ONLY in that we study history, not social studies, and we do so chronologically with narrations and summarizing). Lol. I have finally found my *happy place* with curriculum. Lol.

What type of homeschool do YOU run? Are you happy with your choices?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM
We are mostly Charlotte mason, with a touch of classical. Although as the year has gone on, we have left a lot of the classical behind. Those things ended up being the things that didn't work/frustrated us. I recently started using a workbook in combination with our other stuff, which isn't very cm, but I like how it makes sure I don't forget anything and quenches Julias desire for worksheets and "regular school". I always loved worksheets as a child (and still love forms! Lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Quoting Boobah:

We are mostly Charlotte mason, with a touch of classical. Although as the year has gone on, we have left a lot of the classical behind. Those things ended up being the things that didn't work/frustrated us. I recently started using a workbook in combination with our other stuff, which isn't very cm, but I like how it makes sure I don't forget anything and quenches Julias desire for worksheets and "regular school". I always loved worksheets as a child (and still love forms! Lol)

I understand completely. Autum (my 10 year old daughter) much prefers textbooks and worktexts. She doesn't learn anything from living books. We started the year "classical" with some Charlotte Mason and it was a disaster for us. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Rose23113
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM
bump

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Lol, yeah my problem (not really a problem, but...) with the cm method for us is that my daughter tells everyone I don't teach her anything! Haha! Because we learn mostly from living books, nature, etc. So she thinks we are just reading and playing, but she actually is retaining it, so she is learning. Just ot how she is used to from when she was in public k. She would bring home stacks of worksheets a week in kinder. It was insane.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting Boobah:

I understand completely. Autum (my 10 year old daughter) much prefers textbooks and worktexts. She doesn't learn anything from living books. We started the year "classical" with some Charlotte Mason and it was a disaster for us. Lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Ah. Autumn retained NOTHING from living books.

You would cringe if you walked into our home during school time. Lol. Workbooks, worktexts, and textbooks stacked a mile high on the dining room table. She only reads living books when forced (she's a science and math type of gal).

Quoting Boobah:

Lol, yeah my problem (not really a problem, but...) with the cm method for us is that my daughter tells everyone I don't teach her anything! Haha! Because we learn mostly from living books, nature, etc. So she thinks we are just reading and playing, but she actually is retaining it, so she is learning. Just ot how she is used to from when she was in public k. She would bring home stacks of worksheets a week in kinder. It was insane.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting Boobah:

5BMom
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
We are eclectic with a strong slant towards CM. DS loves workbooks, so we do those with him for the 3Rs... DD is young, but I do not think she will like workbooks/structure much at all. We will be trying Sonlight next term for literature/history to see how we like it. As a teacher, I need the handholding on read alouds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Most people who use Sonlight (that I've talked to) really enjoy it.

Quoting 5BMom:

We are eclectic with a strong slant towards CM. DS loves workbooks, so we do those with him for the 3Rs... DD is young, but I do not think she will like workbooks/structure much at all. We will be trying Sonlight next term for literature/history to see how we like it. As a teacher, I need the handholding on read alouds.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I'm a whatever works person. We use textbooks n workbooks a lot because that's what the boys were used to from public school and it made the transition easy.

We started out very school at home and have progressed to where they get a weekly assignment sheet and work on it however they want as long as it is done by Friday.

However, science is experiment kits from Science in a nutshell or I tie it in with nature, hiking, camping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I think we're still trying to find the perfect fit for us... My daughter loves worksheets so this year I picked up tons of workbooks that followed state standards in all the different subjects, except I wasn't able to find any good ones for social studies or science so we are using the text books from the county but they're absolutely not geared for homeschooling and have been horrible for us. I finally started taking bits and pieces out of the text books and coming up with tons of hands on projects and that seems to be working for me and her, however I don't really know if she is retaining it. Some days she gets it, and can tell you all about the subject, while other days its like I never taught her anything. I can tell she remembers stuff from the workbooks though because she'll suddenly jump up and say, "I remember that from my workbook!" and then quick run to her workbooks and flip to the exact page. I also feel like we're crawling at snails pace through the science and social studies where we're already done with all the 2nd grade workbooks and are now doing a workbook with all the different subjects in it for a review until we're finished with social studies and science. I have to find something better for next year....
I would love to do history instead of social studies (especially since I'm a history major...) BUT hubby, my parents, and his parents are under the firm impression that once we move out of WV I'll put her back in public school, so she should learn what the public schools are learning so she won't have a problem intergrating back in. I however do not share these impressions and they seem to think my opinion is a waste of breath...its a bridge that will be crossed at a later point and not worth the arguments right now though.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

We unschool or child led learning. Everything we do is because the children have asked to do it. I spend a great deal of time looking for information & tools to use, to offer up to them as options. We recently started using The Life of Fred math books because they wanted to try them after looking at them & we will use them until the interest goes away of we do them all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)