Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We are traditionally scholastic with a heavy lean on STEM areas; maybe a bit of a rogue classical feel (ONLY in that we study history, not social studies, and we do so chronologically with narrations and summarizing). Lol. I have finally found my *happy place* with curriculum. Lol.

What type of homeschool do YOU run? Are you happy with your choices?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

"STEM" is just a focus... an emphasis and also a method for centering a curriculum... kind of like you focusing through living books or somone focusing through history/arts/humanities, kwim?

We tend to concentrate more on STEM areas because that is where her natural abilities seem to be (our younger is only 2, we hope he swings the same way, but that's yet to be seen, lol) AND (though I know I'll be slammed for it) we would prefer our children focus on a science/math field, in the current economic climate.

Quoting lucsch:

We are a mixture here. I use a "boxed"  curriculum for the most part, which emphasizes living books, with a bit of CM and some classical. It is a Christian curriculum and uses a unit study approach to tie most subjects together around Biblical character traits or themes. For grammar we use a textbook (orally as much as possible). For math we use an incremental, sprial program that uses workbooks. We do notebooking for science and history. We use dictation for spelling. We use a workbook for Greek and also for handwriting. We do composer studies, art appreciation. My dd takes dance and piano lessons.

Maybe that makes us a bit eclectic.

I'd never hear of STEM either, though I am very much a science, technology, engineering, math person. LOL In fact, I have a degree in engineering. I also have a passion for the arts. I hope to develop my dd's interests, whichever direction that takes us. However, I do intend on her getting an honor's level education which would prepare her for college, just as my older children got in public and private school.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

101stwife
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM

We are very new to homeschooling so we are still trying to figure out what works for us. We started with Time4Learning and have since moved on to what I guess amounts to an ecclectic approach.

I am just now ordering the Saxon math. I made up my own curriculum for history and we are using workbooks from the bookstore for Reading/Language Arts right now. Until I find something that I like we are doing Science experiements for Science.

Mama.22
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Do you use a set curriculum?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We are traditionally scholastic with a heavy lean on STEM areas; maybe a bit of a rogue classical feel (ONLY in that we study history, not social studies, and we do so chronologically with narrations and summarizing). Lol. I have finally found my *happy place* with curriculum. Lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytobooger
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

we do a sit down class room m - thursday; comined charlotte mason and also reg. text books, friday is our monasorri day we call it  "free frriday"  my son can pick what ever he wants to do, if it is math all day, so be it. he usually does more than one thing.  saturday i like doing the active method (forgot correct name) but we play outside more, like if we play catch we do a math problem with it, or count by 2s, 5s, 10, ect. we do a lot of game playing, like bongo jr. monoply jr. memory. all educational in some way. sunday is our day off, however he does read every day anyways.  

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM

We're Classical homeschoolers.  We follow the Well-Trained Mind. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Different curricula for different subjects. Over time we've finally come to find what works for Autumn. Next year we will start finding what works for Nico (our now 2 year old). We use Seton for history (along with CHOW and Usborne), CLE and the Key To series for math, Seton for english/grammar, Seton for handwriting, I Speak Latin for Latin, Logic Countdown for logic, Winning With Writing for english/writing, St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism for religion (along with other resources).

Quoting Mama.22:

Do you use a set curriculum?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I'm a Well Trained Mind drop out! Lol. Love it in theory - but it was an epic failure for my lit and writing hating child. I, however, would have loved it as a child.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I would have too, although I can see how it wouldn't appeal to all learning types.  So far it is going well for us.  The beauty of homeschooling is being able to find the perfect method for each child.  :-)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm a Well Trained Mind drop out! Lol. Love it in theory - but it was an epic failure for my lit and writing hating child. I, however, would have loved it as a child.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I will NEVER leave the forums over there though! Lol. Love 'em!

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I would have too, although I can see how it wouldn't appeal to all learning types.  So far it is going well for us.  The beauty of homeschooling is being able to find the perfect method for each child.  :-)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM

We are using the Core Knowledge books. I love the Well trained mind stuff also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN