Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling In Tn (piog)

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM
  • 4 Replies

So my husband and I have been discussing moving. He lived in Knoxville for several years and has been wanting to go back ever since he left. He left for a better job and that didn't work. He's been unemployed for over two years now (well without a full time job anyways). So we have been bouncing around ideas about where to go and when to do it. Next week we are going to Knoxville for a week and look jobs and houses, etc.
My questions are: How do we go about homeschooling in TN? We have been using Connection Academy here in SC, but we are planning on leaving them at the end of the school year, I don't like the way they hold the child back. We are wanting to do it ourselves. Is this an option in TN? Here in SC all we have to do is sign up with a homeschool association and keep some records and we can do everything ourselves. I have been to the HSLDA site and the laws for TN is kind of confusing for me. Can anyone help me out on what they mean in laymen's terms?
Thanks,
Ashley

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I'm in NC but here is a bump. Also say Hi to my sister. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smc0178
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I am outside of Memphis and have several homeschool friends in TN..from what I understand you can teach what you want but in order to not have to test them you will need to sign up under an umbrella school.  Home Life Academy is (I think)  $80 a year and you can keep track of grades.  There is another one that I have heard of and I think it is called farmers school.  I may not be %100 on TN guidelines b/c I live in MS but from conversations here and there from TN friends, this is what I gathered.  All of my friends put together their own curriculum, so I would think it is somewhat of a relaxed state.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

here is a link to help you know more of your law

Homeschool Legal advantage

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I'm in Ohio but good luck job hunting!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN