Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you monitor their progress?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 8 Replies

Do you do standardized testing or anything similar from home? If so, what do you use? I want to see where my 7 year old son is at in relation to his peers. How would I go about doing that?

by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM
We do the state test every year through our Charter school. However, I don't "teach to the test" so they always score poorly...lmao. I do know they are learning so I am not worried about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM

hi britniwheeler, hmmm i dont test but you could have him take the standardized test? does your homeschool law say that you have to test? heres the hs laws  http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

britniwheeler
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Ya, I'd like to know what he will be tested on so I can prepare him, but I can't seem to find anything concrete. Every state, district and school does things differently. That is frustrating. I know he is learning and is pretty smart for his age, so I should worry less about it. I just want to make sure that he is successful in future ventures.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We do the state test every year through our Charter school. However, I don't "teach to the test" so they always score poorly...lmao. I do know they are learning so I am not worried about it.

britniwheeler
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Yes, we will have to have him take a standardized test. From my understanding we can purchase one and he can take it from home. We are in MN.

I looked in to purchasing the CAT. I am not sure how that stands up to other tests. I was hoping some of you guys had some other options for testing.

Thanks for the reply! =)

Quoting oredeb:

hi britniwheeler, hmmm i dont test but you could have him take the standardized test? does your homeschool law say that you have to test? heres the hs laws  http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I would pick one standard and go with it. Probably the one for our local school district IF I wanted to teach for it....which I don't. LOL

Our local district has each graes scope n sequence posted on their website so I could use it for a guide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I pick up at Spectrum Test Prep book or borrow something like that from the library.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I haven't tested my dd.  I expect mastery of the material (to my satisfaction) before we move onto the next "level". I have not seen the need to test my dd. I don't even give her the quizzes or tests in her math curriculum because I personally go over everything with her and can judge her understanding from her work.

Testing is such an impersonal thing, if you think about it. In a tutoring situation it isn't necessary.

I have considered using the PASS homeschool testing service. They don't recommend it until 3rd grade (my dd's level). I personally think she would test higher than 3rd grade level.

Danielle163
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

You can get tests over on Rainbow Resource Center. They have quite a few different ones to choose from.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)