Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you teach Creative Writing?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

what do you use to help?

sites?

fun ideas?

things that work for you?

books?

workbooks

texts?

etc?

by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
acrogodess
by Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

http://www.kaleidosoul.com/creativewriting.html

has plenty of good suggestions. 

I remember when I was in 2nd grade, my teacher has these laminated cards that came with prompts for the beginning and the end of a story and you had to write the middle. I used to love those cards!

firehorse13
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Oddly enough, I was walking through our local dollar store looking to stock up on some craft supplies, and I found some REALLY cool writing prompts.  They have between 12 and 15 per package, and they look like index cards with pictures on one side, and then there is an "assignment" on the back.  They had cards on the presidents, earth science, weather, ocean life, and lots others that I picked up.  If I'm remembering right, it was at a dollar tree.  

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM

The Five Finger Paragraph  is good for that.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

We mix creative writing with our other subjects...but lately its been mostly with social studies. For instance, we were working on citizenship and national symbols and patriotisim (all kinda squished together) so she wrote a poem about the three together but it was written in red gray and blue and written so the final product looked like a flag. We also changed Golidlocks and the Three Bears to make Goldilocks a good citizen instead of one who breaks in and destroys things lol. I like to come up with crazy things for her to write about to make it more interesting.
I'll see if I can find some of the sites we use if I can't come up with anything too :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Missie isn't a fan of creative writing so I don't push it, very much. I use prompts, usually. Sometimes I have Cole draw a picture and write a few words about that with me helping with spelling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)