Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do your kids have their own computer?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM
  • 37 Replies
If so, is it in their room? Do they have unlimited access to it?

My husband wants to save up for a computer for my daughter's birthday who will be 7. I'm not real big on the idea, we don't have the room, and that is a pretty large gift. His theory is we wonthave to worry about her messing up anything important on ours, and she will be able to use it whenever.

I only have a Mac so most children's computer programs are not compatible. I do have a windows laptop, but it is for my business. So it would be nice to have something she can have her own programs on. I would not want Internet access on it though.

What do you think about kids having their own computer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britniwheeler
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM

My 6 and 7 yr old boys each have their own lap top computers. They have to ask to use them.

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I guess my boys are deprived, lol, because they have only had their computers for 2 years. My oldest was 12 and my youngest was 9. And this past Christmas my oldest got a laptop only because his computer crashed.

They both have Canine filters that prevent them from using their computers during certain hours of the day and keep them from viewing certain sites.

For school purposes and keeping in touch with grandparents the computer is very helpful.

Danielle163
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

My DD just turned 9 and she's had her own laptop since her 8th B'day. She can have it AFTER school is done/she has to stay in the dining room with it(where I am).

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM

No, they use our computers for what ever they would like to do. I also have a tablet that they use as well. We have discussed getting another laptop for the kids to share but haven't decided yet!

swizzlefiz
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

My DD got a mac laptop for Christmas this last year ... she is 8.  My DH put windows on it so she can flip between the mac and windows side.  Works out pretty well for us.  She does have it in her room and has unlimited access to it, but she knows she can only go to certain websites.

mynameismuerte
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM
We have a separate log-in on our computer for the boys. I would really like to get a new computer and pass ours onto the boys but we most definitely would not put it in their bedroom. My oldest is 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No I'm not really on board. Lol. I remember the kind of trouble I could get into when I was 13-15 on the computer and I was a good kid. Lol. Temptation is hard to resist. I'm the type of mom who will probably refuse a cell phone for a lloooooonng time, and then it will be a talk only, restricted phone. I can only imagine what kids can get into with texting/sexting and pictures! Plus free roam of the Internet on those little things.

Quoting swim-mom72:

I guess my boys are deprived, lol, because they have only had their computers for 2 years. My oldest was 12 and my youngest was 9. And this past Christmas my oldest got a laptop only because his computer crashed.

They both have Canine filters that prevent them from using their computers during certain hours of the day and keep them from viewing certain sites.

For school purposes and keeping in touch with grandparents the computer is very helpful.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM
We had windows on my Mac, and it fried it. Ever since we put a new hard drive on it and kept it to Mac only we have been good so I'm scared to try again. Windows makes part of the hd vulnerable to virus' that you wouldn't normally get with a Mac.

Quoting swizzlefiz:

My DD got a mac laptop for Christmas this last year ... she is 8.  My DH put windows on it so she can flip between the mac and windows side.  Works out pretty well for us.  She does have it in her room and has unlimited access to it, but she knows she can only go to certain websites.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM
My girls do like to play on my iPad, but we need her to be more comfortable with a mouse and keyboard.

Quoting usmom3:

No, they use our computers for what ever they would like to do. I also have a tablet that they use as well. We have discussed getting another laptop for the kids to share but haven't decided yet!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM

My kids aged 12 & 17 have their own pc. also they do school on it mostly. They use Monarch

I have k9 web protection installed on it and set it how I want it. They have been totally safe. I have set time amounts after school they can use it for.

My dd's is upstairs in the play room

My son's is in his room

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)