Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids have their own computer?

Posted by   + Show Post
If so, is it in their room? Do they have unlimited access to it?

My husband wants to save up for a computer for my daughter's birthday who will be 7. I'm not real big on the idea, we don't have the room, and that is a pretty large gift. His theory is we wonthave to worry about her messing up anything important on ours, and she will be able to use it whenever.

I only have a Mac so most children's computer programs are not compatible. I do have a windows laptop, but it is for my business. So it would be nice to have something she can have her own programs on. I would not want Internet access on it though.

What do you think about kids having their own computer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Replies (31-37):
Gumberly
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM
My DS is 7 and really doesn't have much interest on the computer right now. When he gets a little older I will start showing him how to do research on the computer but at the moment I am in no big hurry.
disneyrose
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Have you thought about getting an iPad for her?  I think it would be a great compromise, they have great apps available for kids of all ages that are for learning.  My DS who is 3 just got my old one, he is learnig to draw his abc's on it.  Just in idea,

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM
We actually have an iPad we use for spelling and several other games occasionally, but I want her to learn how to be comfortable with the keyboard and mouse of a regular desktop. She struggled with computer lab when she was in public k last year and I haven't worked on it much with her this year. It was pretty traumatizing to her so we took a break.

Quoting disneyrose:

Have you thought about getting an iPad for her?  I think it would be a great compromise, they have great apps available for kids of all ages that are for learning.  My DS who is 3 just got my old one, he is learnig to draw his abc's on it.  Just in idea,

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheHappyChicken
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Our kids aren't allowed to have one until they are at least 16 and they will have to build it themselves.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I am actually considering building one, but I'm not sure if that will be more or less expensive, as I have never done it. My mom has a Dell computer she is not using, I think it runs windows ME. The processor is slow, and hard drive is small. I'm not sure what all I'd need to replace to make it better. I'm not the type that is scared to take apart electronics, but I haven't looked into it enough yet.

Quoting TheHappyChicken:

Our kids aren't allowed to have one until they are at least 16 and they will have to build it themselves.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purplmama
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Our 6 yr old son has an iPad and his own computer. On his computer, he works on his ABCmouse lessons, PBS kids and Sprout. On his iPad, he researches the web for things he's interested in, plays games and watches youtube (he's fascinated with making videos). Last year, when he first got it, he would sit on the sofa, log into comcast and change the channels, completely baffling us until we realized what was happening!

Let me say that he is not spoiled, at least we work hard to raise him in a humble, appreciative manner. We got him the computer so he could do his studies and get off of mine, since I use mine extensively for school and business. We got him the iPad last year because it's the iPad I and we got such a SUPER DEAL on it from a friend who was upgrading, that we couldn't pass it up. Our son is so advanced (he walks me through problems with my iPhone) that we agreed if we could afford to give him any kind of resource that would help him, that we should do it, even it meant sacrificing. For Christmas, we gave him a video camera. I feel that I have a 14 yr old son who is crammed into a 6 yr old body. It's a little scary at times.

Note: one of the things that I work on with him is his penmanship.. He's soooo keyboard-proficient that his handwriting really lacks!.. actually, it's pretty bad. : 0.  I use the story board lined paper and the plain lined paper I pick up from the local edu store. He loves to write stories and draw detailed pictures.

So, in a nutshell, that's why he has a computer and an iPad.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Feb. 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Nope. He has a Lightning McQueen learning one though. . . not a real one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)