Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How is you'r typical day/week layed out with Bible study?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am wanting to have our daily schedules to include Bible study, and if possible the work that we do to include Biblical stories etc. I don't know how to do it, I spend countless hours trying to find examples of how other Christian homeschoolers do it and the things that they study and I can't find anything that really answers my questions.

What is a typical day like when you homeschool with Bible study so I can have the help to make one for us. Example would be you start out doing chores, then Bible study, then whatever assignment....

Also what is the setup for your weekly subjects like math, reading, writing, Monday thru Friday, Social studies 2x a week etc.

Lastly, are there assignments that are Christian based in Christian homeschooling? Like for reading, writing, or math we use this because it's Christian based.

I'm just feeling like I'm not doing it all right. I print out 5 sheets of math off a site that has 5th grade math. I have her read a book about an important person like Rosa Parks etc then write me a paragraph on what she learned. I found a site that has 5th grade spelling words and I have her write the word in cursive on Mon, look up and write the definition on Tues, and then put them into sentences on Wed. Geography is pretty much the map games online. Science I've had her do stuff with me like last week we made homemade oatmeal dog shampoo for our new dog. ;) Next I want us to make homemade oatmeal soap for us. Reading I figure is in the bibliography/history books on people I'm having her do. Writing is in the spelling words and paragraph I have her write with the biography reading. Language arts? whats that anyway? A combination of the reading and writing? Ugh! It just seems like it goes so fast even tho it sounds like a lot that I feel like I'm missing something. Then we have been doing a daily devotional out of the One Bread One Body booklet we get, and then following the reading the Bible in a year thing in the evening but I'm finding that we have missed days as we get tired or lazy at night.

Please give me an example of your schedule and when you have your child do  certain subjects on what days. I just want to know I'm not going to make her dumb ;D

Thank you for all your insight! This site has helped me soooo very much.

P.S. What does Bump mean? lol

by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Replies (11-14):
oredeb
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:20 PM

easy way to find the things your kids need to study is to type in what it is they are learning about in google an example :reptiles , 5th grade, homeschool, worksheets, free, (things like that)! you'll find lots of stuff.

heres a site with lots of good ideas for differnt science subjects  http://www.enchantedlearning.com/themes/fish.shtml

also for history stuff http://www.mrdonn.org/

social studies: exploration and discovery,

i would have her do some researh on that time in history, yes doing some reading on the people, things they invented, art projects having to do with it, research! and if you want her to do them all, she can, make a notebook and put them in it so she'll always have it! homeschooling is fun!!!!! also if you sstart a timeline and put up the dates and everything you study you'll be able to see what your doing better.

http://www.macomb.k12.mi.us/cc/SocialStudies/5thGrade/5socC.html  for exploration

http://www.pkwy.k12.mo.us/candd/curriculumareas/socstudies/5gradeSt_resources.html

look for videos to show also, and tv programs about what you are studying

5th grade science  http://el014.k12.sd.us/5th%20Grade%20Science%20Websites.htm

Quoting sherryshirts:

So off of one of these Mom's posts was a listing of what a 5th grader learns during the year!! I'm such a list person that this has been awesome to help me get a guidline!! I'm starting at the top even though were half through the school year to see what she knows and what she doesn't.

My question now is.....

under science it says to study:

fish, reptiles, bacteria, molds, trees, plants and their foods.

Does anyone know where to find sites for these? And do we just read about them or take a quiz too? I have liked the sites that I find with little quizes or crossword puzzles to do after them, it helps me make sure that she is actually paying attention even though shes at home.

Thanks for anymore links you can send me!!! ;) One more thing, as for SS is has exploration and discovery. Although she has obviously started here and researched a few people, I got a print out of like 2 pages of historical people during this time, do you study all of them?

A

globalhorse45
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Quoting sherryshirts:

So off of one of these Mom's posts was a listing of what a 5th grader learns during the year!! I'm such a list person that this has been awesome to help me get a guidline!! I'm starting at the top even though were half through the school year to see what she knows and what she doesn't.

My question now is.....

under science it says to study:

fish, reptiles, bacteria, molds, trees, plants and their foods.

Does anyone know where to find sites for these? And do we just read about them or take a quiz too? I have liked the sites that I find with little quizes or crossword puzzles to do after them, it helps me make sure that she is actually paying attention even though shes at home.

Thanks for anymore links you can send me!!! ;) One more thing, as for SS is has exploration and discovery. Although she has obviously started here and researched a few people, I got a print out of like 2 pages of historical people during this time, do you study all of them?

A

The Kingfisher Nature Encyclopedia is nice. It's about habitats, genetics, plants, trees, etc.  The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia is about different animals (mammals, reptiles, crusteceans, Mollusks, birds, etc.).  Also there is a Charlie Brown Cyclepedia that is about Plants.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Our curriculum has Bible built in, but I wanted more.  We currently alternate between two books, once that is Bible Study, and one that is more of a devotional type.  I do one of those with the girls each day before we start regular school, then they have their memorization and Bible history built into their lessons. 

We are currently in Studying God's Word, and The Real You by Misty Gatlin.

It sounds like you have a good system going for you, but you have to decide what works for you and what you want to do as a family!  Yes, Language Arts is a combination of reading and writing, including spelling, conventions, written expression, public speaking, literature, and others. 

You're not going to make her dumb!  You're doing a wonderful job and you will learn and grow together! 

Bump means that someone likes your post or wants to show some interest even if they don't have anything to add, so that it gets "bumped" higher up the list and seen more.

One thing we do also is have each child read the Bible as soon as they get up in the morning, then begin our day with our group Bible study.  I have noticed that if we wait, it ends up getting pushed aside. 

If you want to use them at all, I have some kid friendly prayer journals and devotional pages on our website which you are welcome to download.  Here is the link (It's listed under Bible on the Tools for School page):

https://sites.google.com/site/freshwateracademy/home/tools-for-school

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

The Unit Study that we use is called Learning Adventures, by the way.  Next year our oldest (still in school) will be starting high school, so we are going to put her in a separate science curriculum, Apologia.  It is creation based and very highly recommended.  Wyoming offers an automatic scholarship to graduates who meet the minimum graduation requirements with at least a 2.5, even homeschoolers, and she would certainly not do less than that anyway, so we want to make srue we have a solid transcript!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN