Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help a momma out....

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM
  • 7 Replies

okay, I have been toying with the idea of homeschooling for a couple of years now( my daughter is 4 now). I have been getting nothing but negatives from the majority of people i talk to. I have also been told that NY is one of the hardest states to do it in.. I just know that my daughter has been "dumbing herself down" since she started head start and it is completely un-nerving... I have always been teaching her things, and watching her try to be like the rest of the kids makes me so angry... idk... someone please, i need advice... anyone else in NY? Anything?? Please

by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Moma3boyz
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 7:45 AM
I am not in NY, but if you go to HSLDA's website they have every states laws on homeschooling. They also have a newsletter you can get for free that keeps you up to date on what is going on in your state as well as some other helpful info. A friend of mine sent me there and it helped a ton.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM
I'm not sure how hard it is, but the site posted above will tell you any restrictions. If you feel she is being dumbed down, it may be worth it even with the hoops you jump through, kwim? In my state, we have to send a letter of intent (telling them we plan on homeschooling) letting them know basic info and "promising" to teach certain subjects. Then we have to get the kids accessed at the end of the year via one of 3 methods.
The harder states I believe have to get their curriculum approved, which I dint thinkis a huge deal. It stinks, but really I knew all my curriculum well before we started so I think it would just be submitting a list (Saxon for math, all about spelling for spelling, etc)
I'm not sure what else is required in the harder states, but good luck! You've got an early start to check it out so that is great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Venanya
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I first thought I should homeschool when my children were in elementary. I waited until they were in junior high and high school to follow through. I regret it.  I recommend checking out the HSLDA's website as mentioned above and fight for your right to homeschool.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I read a blogger who unschools in NY, so it can be done! lol Good luck! I'm in Ohio.

oredeb
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

heres the  homeschool laws in an easy to read way

http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

well if everyone is telling you no!, it must be a good idea!!!hahahaha

talk it over with your dh and if you both agree, take her out and start homeschooling her

how old is she?

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

It might be harder to do then in other states but homeschooling is legal in all 50 states. Also most of the people are probably telling you not to because they don't know anything other then public school & the thought of you doing things different from the norm scares them!

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

You have a Home School Association in your state that will help you support, legal requirements and more.

Here is their link:  Loving Education At Home

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN