Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED ADVICE!!!! HELP! FEEL IM GOING CRAZY WITH KIDS/BABY!!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM
  • 3 Replies

Hi mamas!! HOW DO YOU GUYS DO THIS??? i have a 4months old baby and a 5 yr old boy and 4 yr old girl im trying to home school. Is not easy, im trying but is like time passes by soo fast in the morniings time, beside i work from home and i just joined the gym YMCA so that i can take the kids there for sports and i can do my work outs and classes.

I've been getting soo overwhelme,i try my best, i try to be patient, i have all the tools i need(thank God one of my friends was a school teacher, just retired and gave me all her materials)and have a designated area in my house for home school, but i guess i will like to know, how do you manage the time? how do you do it?? any ideas????

all this beside cooking, laundry, cleaning and chores around the house is sooo challenging!!!

My son did montessori school last year so he at least got the basics in reading.

Thanks for any input.embarrassed

by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

You can put the 4mo. old down in a swing as at that age they normally sleep, and when he/she is awake on a blanket in the room you're working with your other two on the floor to roll around and work on muscles.  While the youngest is doing those things you can work projects with your 4 and 5 year old, at that age having a small calendar area where you go over such things is good and breaks up the monotony of worksheets and books.  At ages 4 and 5 they really aren't going to require more then about 2-3 full hours of your time to complete their entire amount of schooling for a day.

Then you have the rest of the day to cook and clean.  Have them cook and clean with you, both are great learning experiences and it's teaching them to be responsible for their household.  The good news is the older your children get and used to what is expected of them the easier it gets for you.

I have four children and my three eldest are all a year apart, my youngest is two years from my third so I understand how much of a handful having very little ones can be.  Take it slow and try to multi-task, while feeding the infant read a book to your other two, and relax :-) The house may have days where it'll look nicer then other times, if you feel overwhelmed take a break from schooling one day out of the week and all of you clean, so you can catch up to give yourself some peace of mind.

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM

hmmm,heres just some ideas! 

well maybe your doing to much! drop it all and have some fun with the kids, make schooling part of your everyday things, you dont need to school in a room, it can be anywhere, schooling is also teaching your kids how to help you clean up, how to clean there rooms, put stuff away, if you need to sit down with son , do it when baby sleeps, and let your 4 yr old play by you or listen(its amazing what they pick up) interruptions are ok, just work around them or through them, no matter what your child(ren) are learning!

i always made a list of what i needed done, that way i'd get it done and not think about what i have to do next just went right to it, all 4 of my kids in tow!hahaha

grab the kids and sit down with them and take turns reading with your son, train them now to do what you want, and it will be easier when they are older.

have special toys for the younger ones if you need to do a sit down learning time with your son,

you could teach your son while your 4 yr old takes a break from school and plays for a bit(of course tie the baby(if its awake) to you with one of those carry things, its been years and i cant remember what they are called!hahha

i used playpens, those johnny jump up swings, and my cloth carry thingy for the baby! let the 4 yr old hep with the baby.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM
wht kind of school do you do? At that age you dont need to do that much and it doesnt have to be workbooks and such. It can be learning through everyday life. You ca learn on walks, at the store, doing laundry or washing dishes or cooking. Add little segments of learning throughout the day. Doing things like chalk or blocks or counting toys (we use toy cars for math). play learning is fun and effective :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)