Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Socializing?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM
  • 15 Replies
My 4 year old keeps asking to go back to school. I am a working mom. He finished his IEP and I brought him home to continue learning. I was supplementing his education while he worked on his issues during half day special needs preschool. He is already a year advanced academically. The homeschool group here meets while I am working. Play groups meet while I am working. He is babysat at my house by my sister with my other kids. I know he just wants to go to school to play with other kids. Someone help. How do I convince him that homeschool is just as fun? How do I socialize him? Oh, my sister cant drive and it is too cold for a walk to the park, which is probably deserted at this time of year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Can you try to make a connection with another homeschool Mom that can bring her kids to your house for a play date?

Kenre
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I havent found one in my area that has a preschooler or kindergarten child. The moms at the gym meet on friday, when I had off, seemed off put by me there.

Quoting usmom3:

Can you try to make a connection with another homeschool Mom that can bring her kids to your house for a play date?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I have been there, I went to a park day with a homeschool group I was a member of years ago & was shunned by the other moms there. I hate to say it but even in the homeschool community you will find snobs & clicks!

Have you looked on yahoo groups for more homeschool groups in your town? have you tried the library for story times & other activities? Sometimes bookstores will do story times too.

Quoting Kenre:

I havent found one in my area that has a preschooler or kindergarten child. The moms at the gym meet on friday, when I had off, seemed off put by me there.

Quoting usmom3:

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I know this sounds weird, but if your sisters up for it have you considered contacting a homeschool group near you and offering to host once a week a meet-up at your house.  Maybe even have a learning event or arts and craft time at your place where your son can get to meet other kids and do a small project with them.

Another idea is just putting him into extra curricular activities in the evenings and on weekends when you're home (my husband and I did this for the first few years of homeschooling for work reasons).  Then you can try to swap info for weekend get togethers with other families that also go to the same place.  My kids met so many friends even though they were only going evenings and weekends, and we met up with varous ones for park dates and birthday parties through the year.

Kenre
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM
The other group is 45 minutes to another town. I live in a smallish town. I dont think my kids would be welcome in the Library. lol. I will try more to find things.

Quoting usmom3:

I have been there, I went to a park day with a homeschool group I was a member of years ago & was shunned by the other moms there. I hate to say it but even in the homeschool community you will find snobs & clicks!

Have you looked on yahoo groups for more homeschool groups in your town? have you tried the library for story times & other activities? Sometimes bookstores will do story times too.

Quoting Kenre:

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM
My sis couldnt do it. She is still uncomfortable with my childrens in home therapists. Activities for his age dont start up until May in this area. I want him in soccer. We will see.

Quoting Knightquester:

I know this sounds weird, but if your sisters up for it have you considered contacting a homeschool group near you and offering to host once a week a meet-up at your house.  Maybe even have a learning event or arts and craft time at your place where your son can get to meet other kids and do a small project with them.

Another idea is just putting him into extra curricular activities in the evenings and on weekends when you're home (my husband and I did this for the first few years of homeschooling for work reasons).  Then you can try to swap info for weekend get togethers with other families that also go to the same place.  My kids met so many friends even though they were only going evenings and weekends, and we met up with varous ones for park dates and birthday parties through the year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I would try to find a different sitter that drives and is able to take the kids places. I can understand wnating your sister because she is family  but if yo uintend to meet the needs of the kids, they DO need to get out.

There are so many activities for kids around our town that we can't do them all. There is a free chess club for preschool on up (the instructor is  AMAZING). Library activity/story times, the mall has mommy and me mall walking, kids'activity club every other Wednesday. You just have to be able to get out there and do things.

As for hte homeschooling group, how many times did yo ugo? It sometimes takes a couple times before people warm up to new families. I know in one homeschool group  Iwas shunned because we use a charter school, however, the other group didn't care at all. If the group doesn't like "your way", then start your own inclusive group.

oredeb
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

well it might take time, just keep telling him, how long has it been since hes been home?

Kenre
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Uh, come good weather we walk to everything in town. It really isnt big that there is a ton to do. Summer is packed with activities, but winter is quiet. I am certainly not going to drive an hour or more or have anyone take my 4 young kids out an hour or more away. I wish we had that. I am going to see if the homeschool group can meet later in the day for the working parent to be able to attend. Maybe it just hasnt been thought of or voiced. Also, I cannot afford to pay someone to watch my special needs kids. I am going to have 4 of them come May. My sis is cheap and helps me school them. She is also qualified, but just doesnt drive.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I would try to find a different sitter that drives and is able to take the kids places. I can understand wnating your sister because she is family  but if yo uintend to meet the needs of the kids, they DO need to get out.

There are so many activities for kids around our town that we can't do them all. There is a free chess club for preschool on up (the instructor is  AMAZING). Library activity/story times, the mall has mommy and me mall walking, kids'activity club every other Wednesday. You just have to be able to get out there and do things.

As for hte homeschooling group, how many times did yo ugo? It sometimes takes a couple times before people warm up to new families. I know in one homeschool group  Iwas shunned because we use a charter school, however, the other group didn't care at all. If the group doesn't like "your way", then start your own inclusive group.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Three weeks. The first week he was at his dads for a week visit.

Quoting oredeb:

well it might take time, just keep telling him, how long has it been since hes been home?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)