Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
My 4 year old keeps asking to go back to school. I am a working mom. He finished his IEP and I brought him home to continue learning. I was supplementing his education while he worked on his issues during half day special needs preschool. He is already a year advanced academically. The homeschool group here meets while I am working. Play groups meet while I am working. He is babysat at my house by my sister with my other kids. I know he just wants to go to school to play with other kids. Someone help. How do I convince him that homeschool is just as fun? How do I socialize him? Oh, my sister cant drive and it is too cold for a walk to the park, which is probably deserted at this time of year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Replies (11-15):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I'm not trying to be negative, or insult your sister. However, someone that is not comfortable having therapistscome in to work with your special neds kids may not be the best choice for a sitter and it will only get worse as they get older and there is more need for outside activities and social opportunities.

I truly understand Special needs as well, I have two nephews with severe issues (nipolar, Autism, intermitan explosive disorder, ODD and more initials I dont care to go into) and my own DS with ADHD and an unspecified comprehension issue. Kids with these issues NEED to have therapy and they need to be in activities that will encourage growth.

AntroNet
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Also look to Barnes and Nobles and their story times.  That's great socialization.

oredeb
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

patience for you and time for him!!!  he will get over it, 3 weeks isnt a lot of time yet.

Quoting Kenre:

Three weeks. The first week he was at his dads for a week visit.

Quoting oredeb:

well it might take time, just keep telling him, how long has it been since hes been home?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Very true!

Also, warm weather will be here soon.

Quoting oredeb:

patience for you and time for him!!!  he will get over it, 3 weeks isnt a lot of time yet.

Quoting Kenre:

Three weeks. The first week he was at his dads for a week visit.

Quoting oredeb:

well it might take time, just keep telling him, how long has it been since hes been home?

globalhorse45
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

YMCA?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)