Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get your homeschooled child, to take their work seriously?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM
  • 20 Replies

HELP!....LOL.teacher

by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Schoolwork comes first in our house. PEIROD. There is no TV, no outside time, no going to a friend's house, no video games (you get the picture) unless their work is completed to AT LEAST a B standard.

After once or twice of being on restriction, they figure it out fast!

KymberleeAnn
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

LOL... That sounds like tough, sweet love.

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM

first we find out why if there is a good reason if not, a warning, if not taken seriouly by then a spanking, thats worked for us.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM
I'm pretty lucky, Julia loves doing school for now. Lol but she is 6. Sometimes I have to make her focus, but she actually likes to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

We had the issue of everyday almost every task was whining and not wanting too. I went round and round saying she would never talk to a school teacher like that. Then she broke down one day in tears saying she really wanted to go back (K was in PS). So we had a week long talk about all types of ways to make it better, what is already good, what we want to add and change. Together we rewrote a plan for subjects that we both liked, for sure 1 day of big art a week, music, Coop. THEN I told her my frustrations and 1 big one was disorganization. I made a new floor plan, she helped, then she picked a new desk (from 3 in the house). I rearranged and made hers special, new pink bins, colored pens ect. I made a very detailed weekly plan so she can check off as she goes. 3 weeks in she is MUCH happier. She only gets off track and moody if I am busy with non-school things. So if my head is in the game-hers is too. That was our story-and what worked for us.

rowansmum
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM
I had issues with this with my 4 year old, I backed off and went to play based learning and after a month or so he came around. Depending on the age maybe a different approach? Learning should come natural, yes? Maybe make it relevant? That's what some of my best and favorite teachers did. I can still remember all of them :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I have to add, my kids are older and we have been homeschooling for 5 years now. It's not like this is new for them.

We have a routine that works, and we switch it up as needed but they KNOW they have a set amount of work each and it MUST get done. 

I am VERY flexible if they come to me and say, "I'm having a problem with..." or , " I don't like ....." then I work with them. However, lying and not doing things will NOT FLY in this house.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

KymberleeAnn
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I like your comment

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

As a Home School workshop leader, I always tell parents that home school is not the class room. Studies show that young children learn best while at play, and real life experiences.  If you observe home educated children, most (unlike their public schooled counterparts) enjoy learning.

Here is a link to 4 videos that will help you understand your children's learning styles:  Each Child Is Unique

Here is an article that talks about some of the different methods used by home educators : Home School Is Not The Class Room

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I have never had this issue. Maybe on some days, my dd groans a bit about having to do it, but the seriousness of it is taken for granted.

Do YOU take it seriously? Do you slack off some days? Do you run around the house doing housework during schooltime? Do chores or errands take over schooltime some days? Do you think learning is dull, no fun, and the last thing that you would want to do each day? Do you say, "I'm glad it is Friday!" at the end of the week?

I'm not asking to criticize. I am just suggesting that kids take cues from us as parents. This little "trick" applies so well in many areas of parenting...from foods kids will eat to...well...schoolwork!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)