Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you get your homeschooled child, to take their work seriously?

Posted by   + Show Post

HELP!....LOL.teacher

by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Yikes. Some of these are harsh.

When all else fails - we bake cookies. Seriously.

This isn't school. I'm not trying to emulate school. We are quite rigorous; but if either of us is having a bad day - why push it?

We do not spank or restrict our children for having a bad day. I have bad days once in a while too.

As far as long term goes - ask for their input on subjects that aren't as detrimental material wise. Offer choices. It makes them feel involved. If you are choosing between two great history curriculums, let them choose; same for spelling. Let them be a part of their education and they will take it more seriously. We gave Autumn a good amount of independent work. She is in control of how long her school day takes and that makes for a great attitude.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

KymberleeAnn
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Ladies thanks for the wonderful dialogue, and awesome ideas.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I couldn't have said it better, we're pretty much the same way.  The thing is children aren't stupid, no matter how young they are, we started when my son was 3 and even he caught on at that age that if you don't do certain things you won't get certain things.

Works for the real world, if you don't do your work at your job then you have repercussions like loosing pay or worse your entire job, and in many jobs you have to complete your stuff before walking out the door.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Schoolwork comes first in our house. PEIROD. There is no TV, no outside time, no going to a friend's house, no video games (you get the picture) unless their work is completed to AT LEAST a B standard.

After once or twice of being on restriction, they figure it out fast!

hottmommi42
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Idk why I never saw this before... I always would bounce around the house doing whatever yet expected my ds to stay focused on school work. No wonder he was distracted. And what a hypocrite I was! This has left room for me to think I think...

Quoting lucsch:

I have never had this issue. Maybe on some days, my dd groans a bit about having to do it, but the seriousness of it is taken for granted.

Do YOU take it seriously? Do you slack off some days? Do you run around the house doing housework during schooltime? Do chores or errands take over schooltime some days? Do you think learning is dull, no fun, and the last thing that you would want to do each day? Do you say, "I'm glad it is Friday!" at the end of the week?

I'm not asking to criticize. I am just suggesting that kids take cues from us as parents. This little "trick" applies so well in many areas of parenting...from foods kids will eat to...well...schoolwork!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM
For example: I have a list of subjects that 'have' to be met for state standards, and there are 7 of them. Would you let her choose between the subjects for the day, or just in what order she did them, or at all? I am LOVING this dialog! And, I am trying to get new ideas...

Quoting AutymsMommy:

This isn't school. I'm not trying to emulate school. We are quite rigorous; but if either of us is having a bad day - why push it?

We do not spank or restrict our children for having a bad day. I have bad days once in a while too.

As far as long term goes - ask for their input on subjects that aren't as detrimental material wise. Offer choices. It makes them feel involved. If you are choosing between two great history curriculums, let them choose; same for spelling. Let them be a part of their education and they will take it more seriously. We gave Autumn a good amount of independent work. She is in control of how long her school day takes and that makes for a great attitude.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM

We have a loop schedule. Every subject is printed on a piece of paper in the order they need to be completed; that order needs to stay the same (so that no one subject is consistently glazed over)... but how long each takes is dependent on our day. We pick up, on the loop, where we left off the day before. If our loop is Memory Work, Key to Fractions, English/Grammar, Religion, English/Writing, CLE Math, Logic, Spelling, Science, History; but we tap out after Logic (we work within a set time frame and stop at 1 every day), we pick up with Spelling the next day.

Autumn is able to pick within a certain frame some curriculum. If I narrow math, logic, or spelling down to three great curriculums (each) I would love; I allow her to look at them all and make the decision.

Autumn is a visual learner. She is not an auditory learner. She has to SEE IT to understand it. She works almost entirely independently from a lesson binder that I write out the weekend before. When she has problems or questions, she comes to me :)

Quoting hottmommi42:

For example: I have a list of subjects that 'have' to be met for state standards, and there are 7 of them. Would you let her choose between the subjects for the day, or just in what order she did them, or at all? I am LOVING this dialog! And, I am trying to get new ideas...

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM

How to get them to be serious? Well, first you need a hot poker....jk jk jk LOL

KymberleeAnn
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL too funny...

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

rolling on floor Lol!

Quoting mem82:

How to get them to be serious? Well, first you need a hot poker....jk jk jk LOL

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I gove my kids an assignment sheet on Monday with what needs to be completed by Friday. It is structured so that some subjects happen daily, others rotate. I RECOMMEND that thy do it as Iprinted it but I dont care as long as everything gets done by Friday.

DD lied to me about a couple assignment s being done that weren't done. It happened two weeks in a row. Now she MUST do the assignments on a daily basis and only I am allowed to check them off after they are reviewed. She will have to be consistant in comlpeting everything "on schedule" for two weeks before she earns some freedoms back, It will probably go to two days of free schedule then I check it and see what she has done, then 3 days, then a week again.

Quoting hottmommi42:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)