Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thinking about Homeschooling...

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM
  • 13 Replies

Here is my question my darling daughter has add and is behind her class in reading by two grade levels and math by one. is there a homeschool curiculum I can use to help her catch up or atleast gain some ground over summer vacation?

by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM

well any curr at home would help her catch up, just the idea of you having one on one time with her will help a lot!

you could even just copy stuff off the internet and it will help!

Danielle163
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I agree with Debbie, the one on one attention will do wonders. If you decide to purchase a specific reading or math curriculum, Rainbow Resource Center has tons of excellent items to choose from. We use Singapore math....it stresses critical thinking skills. My DD is doing so much better in math since I switched her over to S. I cannot recommend anything  for reading, perhaps another mom will chime in about that.

Dixieangel35
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Thanks. I will look on the net for both of these suggestions

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I am a tutor and most of my children have ADHD or some other learning disability.  My success rate with them is unusually high I will share with you what I do...it is not magic...it is something anyone can do.

•   Young Children learn best while at play and real life experiences.  
  • 9 times out of 10 if a child is having trouble reading the following video explains the reason

• Ring Around The Phonics is a Language Arts Curriculum that makes learning fun...especially great for hands on learners, and children who struggle with their ability to read.
Dixieangel35
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Is not so much the pronunciation. The school says she doesn't read at the fluency level they excpect for her grade. (She is a 4th grader...but reads at about a middle to end year 2nd grade.) My problem is that she reads to me alot at home and I make her read the book several times over several nights until she reads it with no errors. This works great for her books from home or the library. The school wants her to take AR (Accelerated Reader) tests every day, so she comes home with a different book every night...makes it hard to help her correct the errors so she gets the comprehension right.

We read the 20 Minutes a night her teacher wants, then she reads to me a book of her choice while I cook supper, then she reads a book to me before bed. Then I read her a chapter to her out of a "older age" book when she goes to bed. Timed it last night we are reading for a total of 2 to 3 hours per night at home and still only saw a 10 pt increase in her NWEA test scores. (She is @ 178 and the fourth grade norm is 203).

Oh and those reading times do not include the time we spend reading SS or Science, or her Youth group readings for Church.

She is in a homeroom class that combines 4,5 & 6th together, but she goes to the 2nd grade room for reading, and the 3rd grade room for Math. She also sees a speech teacher 2x a week for 20 min, and sees another special ed teacher for extra reading, spelling, and...sorry can't remember the other area.  I am thinking that I really messed up letting her start kindergarden at age five...my older 2 started at age 6 due to how their birthdays landed in the calander year. They did not seem to have this trouble...although my middle did go to speech until she was a 6th grader.

Now do you see how I can be confused.....

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM

are you saying she reads just fine for you, but not at school?

Quoting Dixieangel35:

Is not so much the pronunciation. The school says she doesn't read at the fluency level they excpect for her grade. (She is a 4th grader...but reads at about a middle to end year 2nd grade.) My problem is that she reads to me alot at home and I make her read the book several times over several nights until she reads it with no errors. This works great for her books from home or the library. The school wants her to take AR (Accelerated Reader) tests every day, so she comes home with a different book every night...makes it hard to help her correct the errors so she gets the comprehension right.

We read the 20 Minutes a night her teacher wants, then she reads to me a book of her choice while I cook supper, then she reads a book to me before bed. Then I read her a chapter to her out of a "older age" book when she goes to bed. Timed it last night we are reading for a total of 2 to 3 hours per night at home and still only saw a 10 pt increase in her NWEA test scores. (She is @ 178 and the fourth grade norm is 203).

Oh and those reading times do not include the time we spend reading SS or Science, or her Youth group readings for Church.

She is in a homeroom class that combines 4,5 & 6th together, but she goes to the 2nd grade room for reading, and the 3rd grade room for Math. She also sees a speech teacher 2x a week for 20 min, and sees another special ed teacher for extra reading, spelling, and...sorry can't remember the other area.  I am thinking that I really messed up letting her start kindergarden at age five...my older 2 started at age 6 due to how their birthdays landed in the calander year. They did not seem to have this trouble...although my middle did go to speech until she was a 6th grader.

Mickey37
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you are already "homeschooling" her and the teacher is relying solely on the tests to interpret her level...How do YOU think she is doing?  Does she seem to be making improvements to YOU?  Some ppl are just not good test takers, and it has nothing to do w/ their actual intelligence. 

Quoting Dixieangel35:

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Honestly I think AR testing is a bunch of crap. My son LOVED to read until the PS started pushing them to read all of the time for those tests. All of a sudden he hated it. He is slowly getting his love of reading back but it just drives me nuts that it came to that.

Quoting Dixieangel35:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dixieangel35
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Well tonight we where reading out of the "Wind in the Willows"...She had about 5 word errors on a page, but we stopped and I helped her sound the words out for the correct pronunciation. She is by no means perfect, but she seems to do better reading for me than the teacher,

Quoting romacox:

are you saying she reads just fine for you, but not at school?

Quoting Dixieangel35:

Dixieangel35
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I bave noticed a difference yes. Her reading flows just fine for me unless she hits a new word...then we have a little bit of a gap while she sounds it out. The teacher even emailed me today and said "she just amazed me it was like where did that come from." But I Cheyanne has told me it is embarrising to be stuck reading "Baby Books" when everyone else is reading "Big Kid Books".

Quoting Mickey37:

Sounds like you are already "homeschooling" her and the teacher is relying solely on the tests to interpret her level...How do YOU think she is doing?  Does she seem to be making improvements to YOU?  Some ppl are just not good test takers, and it has nothing to do w/ their actual intelligence. 

Quoting Dixieangel35:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN