Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group and homeschooling :)

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hi there! I'm Kelley, I have a 3.5 yo and a 3 mo, both boys. I recently decided to become a sahm and had to pull my 3 yo out of preschool. They were using the a beka curriculum and he was really thriving in all areas. While I feel he already knew everything they were teaching, I plan on staying on the same track for the rest of the year. They were doing one letter and number a week. My ds has known all his letters and their sounds for atleast a year now and can count to 15. I started with letter M yesterday and found that it is going to be difficult to keep on the same slooow pace. We were working for less than an hour and he could tell me the letter, its sound, words that start with M, and practiced witting upper and lower case M's. Today we are going to be reading "If you give a moose a muffin" and tomorrow we are doing a craft. I would like to do some sort of schooling 2-3 hours a day, but I'm running short on ideas. I don't want to overwhelm him either.

Suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
haymanisourson
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Phone was acting up, please disregard other post :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM
2-3 hours in preschool is a lot of pressure, unless you are including games times, playdoh, etc. At his age I would probably do lapbooks on different fun topics and hands on science, outdoor nature/science, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

its ok that it only takes an hour, hes pretty young. if your gona teach him this young be sure to do repetion on the things you teach him.

you could throw in some crafts, concerning the letter  and number you are teaching, songs, memory verses, poems, movement, make it into some type of fun play, do you have the letters and letters he learns on the wall?

you could take him outside and look for things that start with that letter or stuff in the house,

be sure to read to him  everyday, he can learn to sit and listen(good training)

start some nature study with him, get him a coloring pad, and crayons, so when you go outside you can look at the wildlife, or plants or just the grass or rocks, let him draw him intepataion of it (you can also help if he wants you to) as he goes along he will be wanting to have you write stuff on his notepad and wanting to learn more.  we started when the kids were even younger toddliing a long!hahaha  and kept at it till they graduated,

teach him some songs, great learning tool

do some painting on large paper, with fingers, helps with handwriting control

let him hammer nails into wood, helps with hand controls for hand writing

find some fun games to play with him

this is all learning! we dont have to stay at a desk to learn!! thats what i always tell my kids!hahaha

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Welcome and Congratulations on your decision to home educate.  I too used ABeka except I didn't ever use any curriculum until my kids were around 6 yrs old.  Children learn all they need just through interactions with you .  Just play, read, do puzzles, color, ect....  and they will be fine.  You can find fun educational games too :)   I am down to my last child at home now as all the others have graduated from our homeschool.  Most are married with kid of their own that they are educating at home also :)

haymanisourson
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM
These are all really great suggestions. I am going to the homeschool store today to see what they have. He is really advanced for his age so its hard to find stuff that is appropriate. Everything you tell him, he remembers. I was trying to stick with the 2-3 hour time frame because that's what they were doing at school.

Quoting oredeb:

its ok that it only takes an hour, hes pretty young. if your gona teach him this young be sure to do repetion on the things you teach him.

you could throw in some crafts, concerning the letter  and number you are teaching, songs, memory verses, poems, movement, make it into some type of fun play, do you have the letters and letters he learns on the wall?

you could take him outside and look for things that start with that letter or stuff in the house,

be sure to read to him  everyday, he can learn to sit and listen(good training)

start some nature study with him, get him a coloring pad, and crayons, so when you go outside you can look at the wildlife, or plants or just the grass or rocks, let him draw him intepataion of it (you can also help if he wants you to) as he goes along he will be wanting to have you write stuff on his notepad and wanting to learn more.  we started when the kids were even younger toddliing a long!hahaha  and kept at it till they graduated,

teach him some songs, great learning tool

do some painting on large paper, with fingers, helps with handwriting control

let him hammer nails into wood, helps with hand controls for hand writing

find some fun games to play with him

this is all learning! we dont have to stay at a desk to learn!! thats what i always tell my kids!hahaha

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YaHuWaHismyall
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Hi Kelly, welcome!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Welcome to the group!

haymanisourson
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Thank you ladies! I found (mostly) what I was looking for at the homeschool store! I'm excited to get started and so is he. I think finding the same curriculum really got him excited to start schooling at home. Thanks again for all the advice!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM
2 - 3 hours for preschool at school is to keep fast and slow kids together, busy work. Homeschool preschool can have so much more, books, plays, fun activities, music, indoors or outdoors, doesn't take much time for actual work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haymanisourson
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM
That does make sense. There are also a lot of distractions in preschool. I basically just want to feel like I'm doing something.

Quoting Silverkitty:

2 - 3 hours for preschool at school is to keep fast and slow kids together, busy work. Homeschool preschool can have so much more, books, plays, fun activities, music, indoors or outdoors, doesn't take much time for actual work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)