Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

your schedule?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
i am planning for my 7 yo ds to start hs next week and i dont want to overwhelm him. i don''t want for him to do so much writting work that he gets sick of it quickly, so i am mixing alot of hands on everyday stuff with bookwork. what is your daily schedule like? how many hours do you do of each subject everyday/every week? i do want to eventually add my almost 3 yo into the mix and get him started on basics. any imput would be great! sorry about errors. im mobile durring lunch and have a 7 month old using me as a jungle gym. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
oh, and if there is a list of sightwords anywhere for free online that anyone knows of please let me know. that is the only academic snag i have come accross. i have $300 worth of workbooks (my mom gave them to us) for all ages and none of them have a good list.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM
My dd is going in to 6th. We spend about 4 hours on average a day. This ail change soon but not by much. Or a 7 and almost 3 yo, I would expect lots of play and maybe an hour of actual sit down work from the 7yo a day, kore or less depending on the kid.

We used to do story, then workbook, crafts, math, outside, more reading, more crafts, more workbook, more outside. Lots of fun, lots of breaks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My 5 year old spends about 3 hours a day on actual work. We use an all inclusive curric from Texas Tech. He also plays with his 2 year old sister and has computer games that coincide with his lessons. We tend to work in 20 min sessions because that is all he can take....unless of course its on the computer then he's set for a while.

momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I was kinda thinking I would do something like this on days we did more bookwork so he doesn't get burned out. Maybe an hour work and 30 minute break, and hour on...etc. for 3 or 4 hours. I would alternate subjects so he is not doing the same thing all day and he gets a change of pace. I want to do hands on stuff with him 2 times a week or so, things that go along with what he is learning at the time.

My 5 year old spends about 3 hours a day on actual work. We use an all inclusive curric from Texas Tech. He also plays with his 2 year old sister and has computer games that coincide with his lessons. We tend to work in 20 min sessions because that is all he can take....unless of course its on the computer then he's set for a while.

momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Quoting Silverkitty:

My dd is going in to 6th. We spend about 4 hours on average a day. This ail change soon but not by much. Or a 7 and almost 3 yo, I would expect lots of play and maybe an hour of actual sit down work from the 7yo a day, kore or less depending on the kid.

We used to do story, then workbook, crafts, math, outside, more reading, more crafts, more workbook, more outside. Lots of fun, lots of breaks.

well, the 3 yo has been learning asl from a tv show on pbs, he will sit there and copy everything the lady does so i am going to invest in the videos so if i need to spend extra time with the older one he is occupied with something fun that teaches him something useful. crafts they could do together and 7 yo i would have him read out loud to the 2 yo since he loves to read and I want him to read so much per day anyways, it works out.

momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM

It sounds like I have a happy medium that I can tweak as we go. I guess I just needed to see how someone else scheduled their time to validate what I planned. LOL.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM
My first grader gets everything done in 2-3 hours. We spend about 15-20 minutes in each subject, with a but more for math.
She does math in the morning, then does most of the other subjects around 1 when her sister takes a nap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM

when my oldest was that age we only schooled 2-3 hours a day and thats with 4kids(7,6,5,4)

we'd do bible first 15 min

then phonics, workpages, games, etc for about 1/2 hour

then we start on some type of handwriting, either with a paint brush , air writing,  sand, or on paper about 20 min or so

then we'd all sit down and do some reading, take turns reading for the ones that read  took a half hour

math with manipulatives or on the chalk board or just counting things, or workbook page took about 15-30 min.

next would be language arts, a page of learning about nouns or verbs, write our spelling words(we got these from our unit study), etc for about 15 min or so

then we'd do a unit study together which inclued history, science, bible, writing, art, spelling, this usually took about an hour at this age sometimes less.

then nature study! our favorite time- we'd pack our lunches, gather our art pads and pencils and camera and head out for a walk, or hike, most of the time that was about an hour

oredeb
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM

site words- http://www.eyeonthesky.org/pdfs/HighFrequencyWords.pdf

http://www.bingocardcreator.com/dolch-sight-words-lists.htm

Click a grade level to jump directly to that list:

hres some site word games =  http://www.familylearning.org.uk/reading_printables.html

Quoting momof3inapril09:

oh, and if there is a list of sightwords anywhere for free online that anyone knows of please let me know. that is the only academic snag i have come accross. i have $300 worth of workbooks (my mom gave them to us) for all ages and none of them have a good list.

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Every day we do all four subjects, but we also have online computer games that go along with his level so he also does those throughout the day. My dad got him some awesome boxed science experiments and little projects that he likes to do. We manage to do 4-5 days of school done most weeks.

Quoting momof3inapril09:

I was kinda thinking I would do something like this on days we did more bookwork so he doesn't get burned out. Maybe an hour work and 30 minute break, and hour on...etc. for 3 or 4 hours. I would alternate subjects so he is not doing the same thing all day and he gets a change of pace. I want to do hands on stuff with him 2 times a week or so, things that go along with what he is learning at the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)