Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you think EVERYONE is capable of homeschooling?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do you think everyone/anyone is capable of successfully home educating their child(ren)?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikkisuire
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I wish I could say yes BUT the truth is that some parents are not motivated enough to do it.  I think if they have the wants to do it and stick with it then yes! But some parents just give up.  Or they just think it is too hard (or what ever the case may be).  I hear all the time how some parents cant wait till the school starts because they need a break from their kids.  Parents like that would not be successful at all.

as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Capable, yes. Are there reasons it doesn't work for everyone, yes, but it comes down to wanting to do the work and having the right resources. Not everyone has that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Capable, yes. However, I have seen many families where I praise God that they don't hs. Some parents don't have their kids best at heart, and some are lazy, and some are just insufficient parents. Its harsh, but true. I don't think hsing makes you a better parent either, I just think that not everyone should. But yes, everyone could.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Yes, I believe that everyone has it in them to homeschool their children but that doesn't mean that everyone should. On the flip side I don't think the government should have any say in what or how anyone educates their children.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

No, in fact I advised one of my best friends against it.  My reasons for her was that she and her husband were working opposite shifts so a parent is home at all times and her husband is proactive in caring for the kids during her work hours 2pm-9pm he's not good with working school with them, nor does he have the patience.  Also he had major heart surgery and has heart issues so I believe the added stress alone might not be good.  Now my friend has connective tissue disease which has deteriorated her ability to do much of anything.  She has no feeling in parts of her body and some days are more painful then others.  She's on a lot of meds and shots, and they're checking her organs monthly.  I explained to her is that her children are happy and thriving in the public school system, their family has a lot going on right now including the only living relative that is closest to them dying of brain cancer and to add more might be just too much.  My friend thought about it and agreed she barely has the ability to drive to and from work some days, much less deal with all three of her children during the day.

I guess my point is there are people out there that just don't have the patience, some that can't because of health and family issues, and some that lack the ability to explain and teach necessary materials.  I am happy to live in a country that offers the freedom to choose what is right for my family.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Yes, I believe that everyone has it in them to homeschool their children but that doesn't mean that everyone should. On the flip side I don't think the government should have any say in what or how anyone educates their children.

I agree with you. The government should have no say in how or if a person educates their child; but the flip of that is in recognizing that this generally means the government doesn't hold any responsibility towards educating children. Making a body responsible for providing something it has no control over would be a hot mess. I'm one who believes the government should not have the responsibility of educating our children though.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I think everyone *could* under the right circumstances, but no, not everyone is cut out to do it.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I believe that most are capable but sadly many just don't want to take the time and energy that it involves.  If anyone loves their child and wants to home educate they can set their minds to it and do it.  I have been at this for 19 yrs and have been around many home educating families. All types of families.  And yes, I believe if anyone wants to home educate they can.

Danielle163
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Yes, but only if  they are willing to put forth the time and commitment.

rebeccasmly
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM

While I think every parent is capable of educating their children, I believe not all parents should home school. .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)