Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Which one????

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

Which scenario would make more sense for my oldest (2nd grade next school year):

I will be starting a 1 year clinical rotation/internship that will be full time Mon-Fri 8-3. I will have online classes on top of this. 

**First of all, I have 4 kids - 2 are not school age, and 2 are.  Regardless, my 5 year old who **should** be in kindergarten will continue to be homeschooled next year because of some issues.  He will stay with a nanny 3 days and my mom the other days. 

Scenario 1:  Oldest goes to public school...I might get to deal with major behavioral issues that we had when he was in public school kindergarten last year...this year homeschooling has been a dream.  Homework will be every night plus school events, projects, etc. 

Scenario 2:  He stays with a nanny but she won't be schooling him.  School will be pretty relaxed for the year and I will send work with him for her to supervise, plus he will have computer lessons.  Social activites will be limited to church and sibling play.   I probably won't have to worry about behavioral issues but might not be able to keep up or get ahead as we have been this year.  But once I graduate, homeschooling and working should not be a problem between the schedule I can get and my husband's job. 

Which one seems more managable for next year?

by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

2!!!!!!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I would go with the second one as well!

Knightquester
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I would see how the second one works out at least before debunking it and going with one.  There's a kid in my kids' tennis class who has only one parent and she's a nurse.  She works only 30hr. weeks split shift and schools her son around her work schedule, so for some it can work.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM

This is what I was going to say!

Quoting Knightquester:

I would see how the second one works out at least before debunking it and going with one.  There's a kid in my kids' tennis class who has only one parent and she's a nurse.  She works only 30hr. weeks split shift and schools her son around her work schedule, so for some it can work.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Two just sounds less stressful for everyone. And I dont just choose homeschool regardless. Lol. I dealt with the behavior and battled, so I know how hard that is. On mom andd child.
Plus, it will be that much easier to get back into routine next year without fighting the behavior.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Sorry for typos. Im still fighting this phone. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Thanks for the responses!  I'm thinking option 2 also.  But I did notice I only put the cons or public school (which there are plenty!), but the only pro I see would be that it is free.  If I go with the nanny we will have to take out another school loan....but I think it might be worth it. 

globalhorse45
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

2...we have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and we pulled our son out of kinder at the semester mark. Neither of us are full time stay home parents as we both are full time students. When I have rotations for my medic my kids either go an extra day to the nanny or they go to my parents. We manage to fit school in during the evening or weekends so we do not get behind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN