Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Which scenario would make more sense for my oldest (2nd grade next school year):

I will be starting a 1 year clinical rotation/internship that will be full time Mon-Fri 8-3. I will have online classes on top of this. 

**First of all, I have 4 kids - 2 are not school age, and 2 are.  Regardless, my 5 year old who **should** be in kindergarten will continue to be homeschooled next year because of some issues.  He will stay with a nanny 3 days and my mom the other days. 

Scenario 1:  Oldest goes to public school...I might get to deal with major behavioral issues that we had when he was in public school kindergarten last year...this year homeschooling has been a dream.  Homework will be every night plus school events, projects, etc. 

Scenario 2:  He stays with a nanny but she won't be schooling him.  School will be pretty relaxed for the year and I will send work with him for her to supervise, plus he will have computer lessons.  Social activites will be limited to church and sibling play.   I probably won't have to worry about behavioral issues but might not be able to keep up or get ahead as we have been this year.  But once I graduate, homeschooling and working should not be a problem between the schedule I can get and my husband's job. 

Which one seems more managable for next year?

by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Replies (11-14):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Quoting MedicMommy2:

2...we have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and we pulled our son out of kinder at the semester mark. Neither of us are full time stay home parents as we both are full time students. When I have rotations for my medic my kids either go an extra day to the nanny or they go to my parents. We manage to fit school in during the evening or weekends so we do not get behind.

Very encouraging!  Thank you for sharing!

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Quoting MedicMommy2:

2...we have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and we pulled our son out of kinder at the semester mark. Neither of us are full time stay home parents as we both are full time students. When I have rotations for my medic my kids either go an extra day to the nanny or they go to my parents. We manage to fit school in during the evening or weekends so we do not get behind.

Do you plan on to continue homeschooling once you have graduated and are working?

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Our 5 year old will never go back to public school seeing as he is starting 1st grade already. We go through Texas Tech so everything is laid out for us which saves me tons of time and stress and he can go at his own pace which is very fast right now. We took him out because the school was convinced he was special ed and wanted to test him for it so we had him privately tested first and his IQ is in the top 2% and was testing at a 5th grade level for almost everything. They were just too stupid to see that he was just bored and banked on the fact that he was the youngest one and everyone always told him how cute he is. His bday is the cutoff date here no public school will take him so far ahead. He is a 5 year old 1st grader will be a 6 year old second grader and will probably do a year in 6 or so months. My daughter on the other had we will just wait and see what works best for her.

I am lucky that my husband does do about half the schooling and ALL of the major projects. We also use some online sites that have "games" and he does not even realize he is learning or reinforcing what he is doing in school.

nadiamomof4
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM

The price of 'free' school and lower nanny cost is not worth the behavioral problems and other issues you may have to deal with by putting him in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)