Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

continue homeschooling or send back to public school?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

We started homeschooling this yr for 4th grade.  It is going fabulous.  My hubby thinks that we should put him back into public school for 6th grade on so he does not miss out on anything socially and so it will look better for college.  Any thoughts? Advice?

by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess I would think back to WHY you removed him to begin with, and then I would be asking your DH what exactly he thinks your child is "missing" out on socially. I don't believe that there are any problems with homeschoolers getting into college.

Glad to hear that homeschooling has been going so good!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I personally never, ever advice anyone to send their children to government schools.  Your child will not miss out on anything important. 

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I don't know where you live but here there is a homeschool prom, yearbook, sports teams, homecoming dance & tons of other activities that are just like what is offered in the public schools.

lsnyder43
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

We are in Maryland.  Any advice on how to find these type of programs in our area? So far I have only found a few very small homeschool co-ops.

oredeb
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM

hi isnyder! what a question to ask here!hahahaha(just joking with ya!)

dont send him back to prison! your son is free!! wont miss out on anything!  why did you take him out?

let him play baseball, swim teams, football, go to some homeschool co op classes, etc

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Quoting lsnyder43:

We are in Maryland.  Any advice on how to find these type of programs in our area? So far I have only found a few very small homeschool co-ops.

Here are some sites that tell you of groups in your state

http://homeschoolcentral.com/support/maryland_homeschool.htm

http://www.home-school.com/groups/MD.html

http://www.homeschoolinginmaryland.com/

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Colleges actually would rather have homeschooled students. It is proven that they do much better in the college atmosphere. They are self starters, more self reliant, have amazing study skills, and can handle the academic load better. I would question why your husband thinks it looks better to come from a prison that the world of learning.

lsnyder43
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

we took him out due to bullying...he was starting to act out...teachers would not listen they were too busy labeling him as a problem child...he has gone from being painfully shy and immature to being engaging and independent....really hate to see all our hard work undone...but husband is a strong believer (or just plain delusional) in the public school system...so I see some major work in my future trying to convince him

Ppuff1971
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

We (err..correction I) took my now 14 year old son out of 7th grade to the bullying that he was going through as well.  I went through all the channels possible to get this situation corrected and it didn't work, so I pulled him out.

My son went from being incredibly frustrated with school to a self-starter, very independent young man.  He is now a Freshman in MY High School program and he will continue to be homeschooled next year as well.  Much to my soon to be ex's dismay, but it's in the best interest of my child. 

As far as the social aspect, he's gone to the homecoming football game at the high school, keeps in touch with his friends through various social networking sites, etc.  To me, keeping him happy and safe out weighs the idea of him being bullied again at the school..

Katherine696997
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Quoting Danielle163:

I guess I would think back to WHY you removed him to begin with, and then I would be asking your DH what exactly he thinks your child is "missing" out on socially. I don't believe that there are any problems with homeschoolers getting into college.

Glad to hear that homeschooling has been going so good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN