Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is Sonlight worth the money???

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM
  • 17 Replies
I am so back and forth on SL. Reviews are either fabulous or hellacious and I never see a middle ground. I am going to need scheduled literature for a K and 1st hoping combine them for read alouds, history/geopraphy, and science. We have a terrible library with a super small childrens section, so I need to have the books purchased and on hand.

I am drawn to SL but I always stop short of hitting the confirm button.

If not SL, what do you recommend. I want living books but our own LA, math, art, and logic... We ars not super activity oriented... But like a few activities...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
5BMom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Yes.... I have spent months researching SL... I ubderstand how it works.... I would only be doing a core and not a package, so spelling and math are not issues, as in the one review...

Quoting oredeb:

did you read this review  http://www.homeschool-curriculum-savings.com/pros-and-cons-of-sonlight-homeschool-curriculum.html

or this one http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/SLwhat.htm

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM

BUMP!

Gumberly
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM
I used it for preschool because I was just starting out and scared. I won't use the whole program for my 4 year old twins as I have sense discovered a lot of other options I like better.
I love the books sonlight uses and I try to use as many as possible in our school. I debated buying the core just for that reason myself but ended up getting the books from the list from different places (convention's used book swap, eBay etc) and making my own schedule.
Sonlight is like all the other curriculum offered some people love it some people do not. I think if you don't want to go through the trouble of hunting down all the books and making your own schedule then I think buying the core is totally worth it.
lucsch
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I used Sonlight for 2 years--the P4/5 and the K along with LA/Readers 1 and LA/Readers 2. It worked wonderfully for us, but my experience is limited to the early years. :)

BTW, I bought ours used (off of eBay) so I paid less than half of the new price. :)

We used HOD now. It has great literature and is more structured. I also appreciate that I do not have to read everything now that my dd is able to do it on her own. We read fewer books at a time than Sonlight had us reading.

5BMom
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM
I am torn between LHFHG and SL P4/5.... I am worried my DD, who would be 4 years and 2 months when we start. Her brother would be a little over 5...

Quoting lucsch:

I used Sonlight for 2 years--the P4/5 and the K along with LA/Readers 1 and LA/Readers 2. It worked wonderfully for us, but my experience is limited to the early years. :)

BTW, I bought ours used (off of eBay) so I paid less than half of the new price. :)

We used HOD now. It has great literature and is more structured. I also appreciate that I do not have to read everything now that my dd is able to do it on her own. We read fewer books at a time than Sonlight had us reading.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsrks
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Sonlight has a great marketing system. I loved it at one point and the forums were the best support.....until one day Sonlight decided to close the forums to all people who weren't currently buying a certain amount. I had bought hundreds of dollars from them and that didn't count. I was off the forums. That gave me a huge shock. Anyway, that's all over now.

Honestly speaking, I loved Sonlight but my kids didn't want to read that much. I loved the concept of reading aloud to them and the third grade science was fantastic. We went outside and looked at plants according to their lesson plan etc.

Sonlight was created for people in other countries who didn't have libraries or many kids activities. It's heavy on the reading so if your kids like to read, it might be worth it. Personally, if you're not sure about the entire curriculum, choose certain books. Some of the books were way over the level of the appointed grade so I would not get the core. Instead, I would search the book and get as much information as I could and then pick the most valuable to us books. You can also buy used teacher guides.

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

crystalhend
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM
For pp's what is HOD and LHFHG? Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
himamajenn
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM

HOD is Heart of Dakota

himamajenn
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

LHFHG is Little Hearts for His Glory

HOD is Heart of Dakota

I used Sonlight for P4/5 and switched to HOD for Kindergarten. My kids were bored out of their minds with HOD. Since I had already purchased the Sonlight for Kindergarten as well, we switched back to it. My kids now love school again.

I believe everyone is going to either hate or love all curriculums. I try to read the pros and cons about all curriculums, then I take my knowledge and head to a homeschool convention and do more research!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)