Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is Sonlight worth the money???

Posted by   + Show Post
I am so back and forth on SL. Reviews are either fabulous or hellacious and I never see a middle ground. I am going to need scheduled literature for a K and 1st hoping combine them for read alouds, history/geopraphy, and science. We have a terrible library with a super small childrens section, so I need to have the books purchased and on hand.

I am drawn to SL but I always stop short of hitting the confirm button.

If not SL, what do you recommend. I want living books but our own LA, math, art, and logic... We ars not super activity oriented... But like a few activities...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Replies (11-17):
TrueLifeSAHM
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM

We are currently using Sonlight with my Kindergartner and we LOVE it!!!  We went ahead and bought the K multi-subject package because it is our first year and didn't know what we needed.  Next year for first grade, I am just going to buy Science, Language Arts and Horizons Math... I am going to put together my own History curriculum.  I am not getting the core because we are not reading all the books that comes with it (most are over his head).

My son just loves their Science and I really like their language arts... my son is starting to read wonderfully because of it!  I also love the teacher's guides, it is all planned out for you and gives you tips on how to teach the curriculum... I have become a very confident HS mama while using it!!

To answer your question, YES!  It is worth the $$, we plan on using it all through HS'ing :-)

~Jennilee~

Check out my blog: http://www.truelifesahm.blogspot.com/

5BMom
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM
So basically, you will just use science? Isn't the LA in K alot of Explode the Code and readers?

Quoting TrueLifeSAHM:

We are currently using Sonlight with my Kindergartner and we LOVE it!!!  We went ahead and bought the K multi-subject package because it is our first year and didn't know what we needed.  Next year for first grade, I am just going to buy Science, Language Arts and Horizons Math... I am going to put together my own History curriculum.  I am not getting the core because we are not reading all the books that comes with it (most are over his head).

My son just loves their Science and I really like their language arts... my son is starting to read wonderfully because of it!  I also love the teacher's guides, it is all planned out for you and gives you tips on how to teach the curriculum... I have become a very confident HS mama while using it!!

To answer your question, YES!  It is worth the $$, we plan on using it all through HS'ing :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrueLifeSAHM
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Both Language Arts and Science are apart of the Sonlight curriculum and can be bought separately.  The Core, which includes Bible Study, History and Readers is what we are not getting next year.  If you don't buy the Core, I would suggest buying the Fun Tales (included in Core) because we are reading one book a week starting in the 12th week and it has done wonders for my son's reading skills!!

My son love the science curriculum, you first read the science book and then do the worksheets.  We have both learned a lot from it!  Also, you get a DVD full of experiments that you watch and do at the end of the week.  

Here is a sample of the Science: http://www.sonlight.com/attachments/ASG/ASG-sample.pdf

Here is a sample of Language Arts: http://www.sonlight.com/attachments/KLG/KLG-sample.pdf

Language Arts takes the longest for us to do everyday, with the writing in the curriculum, doing letter of the week, I print off  writing sheets from online of the letter of the week for extra practice, activities and reading.

Horizons Math can be bought online from many different site, I will just buy if from Sonlight though :-) 

I just LOVE Sonlight (can you tell?) LOL

~Jennilee~

oredeb
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

jennilee, on a side note , i liked your rebuttal on your blog page!

Quoting TrueLifeSAHM:

TrueLifeSAHM
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Thanks happy

~Jennilee~

5BMom
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Since I am not a fan of Ruth Beechicks LA (DS was reading ar 4 with a solely phonics based approach) and we will do one more year of nature study, using Queens, I am ONLY interested in the core... Thanks for taking the time to answer, though.

Quoting TrueLifeSAHM:

Both Language Arts and Science are apart of the Sonlight curriculum and can be bought separately.  The Core, which includes Bible Study, History and Readers is what we are not getting next year.  If you don't buy the Core, I would suggest buying the Fun Tales (included in Core) because we are reading one book a week starting in the 12th week and it has done wonders for my son's reading skills!!

My son love the science curriculum, you first read the science book and then do the worksheets.  We have both learned a lot from it!  Also, you get a DVD full of experiments that you watch and do at the end of the week.  Here is an example of one we did:

Here is a sample of the Science: http://www.sonlight.com/attachments/ASG/ASG-sample.pdf

Here is a sample of Language Arts: http://www.sonlight.com/attachments/KLG/KLG-sample.pdf

Language Arts takes the longest for us to do everyday, with the writing in the curriculum, doing letter of the week, I print off  writing sheets from online of the letter of the week for extra practice, activities and reading.

Horizons Math can be bought online from many different site, I will just buy if from Sonlight though :-) 

I just LOVE Sonlight (can you tell?) LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mickey37
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Ok I haven't used Sonlight bc of the cost, but ALWAYS get the readers bc of the wornderful reviews from friends.  I use My Father's World for everything else, which is for multi age levels to learn together and have been very impressed.  I'm using their K program this yr, and have used 3 years of the older grades, from 2nd to 7th, love it.  It requires me to use the library about 2x a month and I modify their lesson plans to fit but otherwise very user-frndly.  GL:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN