Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where do you buy your homeschooling supplies from?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM
  • 23 Replies

I currently buy all my supplies from Timberdoodle.com but was looking to see what else is out there. We love timberdoodle but maybe, with this being my first official year homeschooling I am missing an opporitunity to see what else is available or possibly cheaper.  Where is your favorite place to shop for supplies?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikkisuire
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Wow actually alot of different places.  If it is just random supplies like colors, ink, paper, then the dollar store or wal-mart.  We get most of our unit studies from currclick.com. I also buy from a local mardel's or online at mardel.com. 
I have used http://www.learningthings.com/.  Very detailed, offers alot.  But I have also gotten from AOP. I receive information from them on facebook about their sales.  (That is where I got my SOS curriculum).

CoSaWy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM

What is your opinion on the SOS? We looked into that but my husband read 2 bad reviews and said no! My oldest DD will be in 9th grade next year and I think it would be better for her because it is something she can do independantly (am I correct on that?).

Quoting nikkisuire:

Wow actually alot of different places.  If it is just random supplies like colors, ink, paper, then the dollar store or wal-mart.  We get most of our unit studies from currclick.com. I also buy from a local mardel's or online at mardel.com. 
I have used http://www.learningthings.com/.  Very detailed, offers alot.  But I have also gotten from AOP. I receive information from them on facebook about their sales.  (That is where I got my SOS curriculum).

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Let's see.  Amazon.com and  rainbowrescource.com are the two places I shop most.  Then there is ebay.com .  This year I'm getting quite a few things direct from publishers because I can not find them anywhere else.

haymanisourson
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM
We got our stuff from a local homeschool store/book exchange. I got the entire ABeka preschool curriculum for $20. Where do you live, maybe someone on here is close and could give you more ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkisuire
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Quoting CoSaWy:

What is your opinion on the SOS? We looked into that but my husband read 2 bad reviews and said no! My oldest DD will be in 9th grade next year and I think it would be better for her because it is something she can do independantly (am I correct on that?).

Quoting nikkisuire:

I actually really loved SOS.  Was going to get it again for this year but I wanted to buy for two grades and decided to go a different route.  My son was only in the fourth grade, has alot of trouble reading so it was alot of me helping him.  He would have done it on his own otherwise.  I actually couldnt tell you anything bad about it, other than it is all on the computer.  But that is why we wanted it, so in our case that was a very good thing.

as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD

5BMom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM
we get stuff all over... Rainbow resource, amazon, local bookstores, a local office supply, walmart when we are in the city, rod and staff,.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rowansmum
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM
I just came back from the dollar store and there was a TON of stuff. Books, fun pencils, notebooks, foam etc omg I was so happy lol. More than the budget allowed for now :( I don't follow a set curriculum tho. I also get my kumon books from amazon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoSaWy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Right now I live in Mexico, which is how we started homeschooling. Everything I buy has to be ordered and then I pay almost double sometimes for shipping costs, that would be why I am trying to find a way to save some money. I am going back to Maryland for a month in April so I was thinking of trying to find out if there is anything like this exchange there around that time.

Quoting haymanisourson:

We got our stuff from a local homeschool store/book exchange. I got the entire ABeka preschool curriculum for $20. Where do you live, maybe someone on here is close and could give you more ideas.

haymanisourson
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM
I was at barnes and noble earlier and they sell kumon as well :)

Quoting rowansmum:

I just came back from the dollar store and there was a TON of stuff. Books, fun pencils, notebooks, foam etc omg I was so happy lol. More than the budget allowed for now :( I don't follow a set curriculum tho. I also get my kumon books from amazon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoSaWy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Quoting nikkisuire:

Quoting CoSaWy:

Quoting nikkisuire:

I actually really loved SOS.  Was going to get it again for this year but I wanted to buy for two grades and decided to go a different route.  My son was only in the fourth grade, has alot of trouble reading so it was alot of me helping him.  He would have done it on his own otherwise.  I actually couldnt tell you anything bad about it, other than it is all on the computer.  But that is why we wanted it, so in our case that was a very good thing.

Thank you! I am going to talk with my husband again about it especially for my 13 year old who will be a 9th grader next year. I just need something a little easier to manage for her.  Does it grade the work they do automatically? Is it everything they need for the year or do they still need suppliments?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN