Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Exposure to homeschool?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:57 AM
  • 20 Replies

Prior to deciding to homeschool, what exposure to homeschool did you have?  We don't homeschool yet, but I'm working on gather some information for when we do need to make that choice- we love the school the kids are in now, but after that school, we will need to decide.

My exposure was pretty much that I was homeschooled for a little while as a kid- my mom then got a teaching job at a private school and we went there.  We also meet many other homeschool kids that started to attend the private school.  

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
None
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovepotato
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

My cousins were homeschooled on and off until they graduated. I remember being jealous that my cousin got to learn about Egyptian hieroglyphics while I was learning math lol.

Christine0813
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

None.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM
None.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

none, didnt even know there was such a thing, i just knew i would never send my kids to public or private school, and i never did! i never even knew if it was legal or illegal, i just started teaching my oldest at home, thank goodness there was the library back then!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

None, LOL    I hated my children being at public school but in the late 80's and early 90's I had never heard of home education.   The very week I heard of it I yanked my kids out so fast our heads spun but I have never, ever regretted it!!!   Been at it for 19 yrs so far.  All my DC have now graduated our homeschool but one.  My last one at home now is 14 yrs old.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

none

katzmeow726
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Honestly? Almost none.  I'd admit I was one of the anti homeschool people.  I just had this idea that they were all socially inept or religious zealots.

The idea never even crossed my mind, until March of last year lol.   I was at the GYN for my annual (ugh, I need to schedule one of those soon...) and in a secondary waiting room, when another woman walked in.  Her DH and daughters were with her.  I was a bit surprised, because the older daughter was obviously school age.  THen I saw the ultrasound photos in hand, and I figured they let their DD stay home so she could go to the ultrasound.  

ANyway we got to talking, and ended up doing so for a while because the office was slow that day.  When we got on the topic of school, she said she homeschooled, and I swear it was like the light clicked on for me.  DH and i had been agonizing of what education we would do for the kids once they were old enough to start, and here was our answer.

I was amazed at how well spoken and intelligent the daughter was.  SHe was also very social...very VERY social, that girl could talk your ear off!  The more I researched, the more I learned that my opinions of home education were way off the mark.

It wasn't until after I began talking about our plans to homeschool, that DH's aunt said that she did so as well. Even my MIL had homeschooled my SIL and DH for their first year of preschool.  But, when she divorced my FIL, she had to go to work, and off to school they went.  

Gumberly
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM
I too orginal thought I would NEVER homeschool, clearly people who did were idiots. Plus I had this friends in highschool who had been homeschooled up to 8th grade then dumped into public school. She got good grades but she was way too interested in boys and got herself into a lot of trouble (she was pregnant our freshman year of college). At the time and for years later I blamed her having been homeschooled. Looking back I can see now it wasn't the homeschooling it's self but the parents and the home life that contributed to her behavior.
Then my DS had a negative experience in preschool and after posting about it on facebook my BIL and SIL (who homeschool their DD's and have since they started school) began to tentavily talk to me about concidering homeschooling DS.
At first I thought it was crazy and my friends were quick to tell me I already had to much on my plate, DH was in Afghanistan, and I would never be able to do it. I couldn't get the idea out of my head though so I made a deal with my self that I would only homeschool for preschool, then it was just kindergarten, now we are 24 weeks into 1st grade and I have no intention of ever stopping.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I didn't really have any for kids. I had a friend that did a high school correspondence course. I had several online friends that actually convinced me to try it when I complained about Missies B&M school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)