Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Prior to deciding to homeschool, what exposure to homeschool did you have?  We don't homeschool yet, but I'm working on gather some information for when we do need to make that choice- we love the school the kids are in now, but after that school, we will need to decide.

My exposure was pretty much that I was homeschooled for a little while as a kid- my mom then got a teaching job at a private school and we went there.  We also meet many other homeschool kids that started to attend the private school.  

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
globalhorse45
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

None.  Nobody around here homeschools.  I don't know anybody who homeschools in real life.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM

None!  I was a public school teacher, as were both of my parents.  It was quite a switch in schools of thought for me!

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I was homeschooled through most of middle and high school. We were not religious but I was in a highly competitive sport and I was bored at school so my dad pulled me out to homeschool me. Most of it was left up to me because my dad worked full time but I did it and graduated high school through a correspondence high school. We put our oldest in school had a horrid prek year and thought kinder might be different it was not. We have since pulled him out been doing this since the end of December and he will start 1st grade in 2 weeks. This was never my plan, both my hubby and I are full time students and I intend to work full time, we will just have to make it work somehow.

krazymama4
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM
none what so ever lots of research online
adelphi13
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM

None

sourflower
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I was homeschooled from 6th-12th myself.
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Quoting bmw29:

None
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM
I never knew anyone who home schooled, had no idea it was even really an option! Lol

Once I started looking into it, everything started coming together. It was like a hallway of doors just opened in front of me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matt_sara_mom
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I had no exposure but loved playing "school" when I was younger and just started teaching my oldest two and the little girl I baby sat and fell in love with it. I wanted to stay with it but my now ex would have none of it. Sadly my older two are now in PS and doing terribly. My oldest was reading before Kinder and by 2nd grade was behind, classified ADHD, put on so much medication that he is a zombie when at school, and has been in summer school twice. My middle child has only been in this year so I don't know how negative it will be on her.  I mentored in elementary PS when I was in high school and was appalled at the first and second graders who couldn't read, didn't know the phonics, and some couldn't recognize what letters were what. I never understood how they could have been in those grades and not know this basic stuff. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM
None, I share in the assumption that only religious fanatics chose to do it. But I have always been a rebel and had no problem being the one non-religious homeschoolers. It wasn't until we started that I learned how wrong the assumption was.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN