Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you fit into one of these two categories?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM
  • 21 Replies

Changing homeschooler demographics

Homeschoolers typically come from one of two groups. They are either religious conservatives or minimalists who want to live off the grid. Studies have shown that upward of 80 percent of parents who homeschool their children do so for religious reasons.

But homeschooler demographics are changing, according to a Newsweek article by Linda Pearlstein. “There are an estimated 300,000 homeschooled children in America’s cities, many of them children of secular, highly educated professionals who always figured they’d send their kids to school,” Pearlstein writes.

Pearlstein’s findings are underscored by a 2007 US Department of Eduction study that found that a minority of parents homeschool for religious or moral reasons,reports USA Today. Only 36 percent of parents homeschool for religious reasons. Thirty-eight percent of parents home school because of concerns with the school environment or dissatisfaction with the school system.

There has also been huge growth in homeschooling among minority groups. Native Americans in Virginia and North Carolina have founded homeschool organizations in an effort to escape assimilationist public schools and preserve their traditional values. Islamic homeschooling has grown rapidly post 9/11, according to a PBS news program. “The public school system is not accommodating to Muslims,” said Fatima Saleem, founder of the Palmetto Muslim Homeschool Resource Network, a website that helps Muslim home schoolers locate information on everything from buying books to choosing a curriculum to learning the laws of their individual states.

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    bugayfamilyof4
    by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    4 moms liked this

The schools here in Las Vegas are horrible. There is no value on education here. I think that most places where tourism is the main source of the states income probably doesn't have great schools. I think we are second to the very bottom of the list in the U.S.

I hated school growing up. It was like prison !!!The teachers did not care. There were way to many of us in a class room. I did what I had to do to be done. I really loved college.

I homeschool because I don't want my children sitting in a classroom all day. I want to be their biggest influence not their friends or teachers. I want them to explore and have a passion for their world. I want them to think for them selves.

Silverkitty
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    We stared because we were in Las Vegas and didn't want our dd in that mess of a system. Kept with it because we enjoyed it and being military was easier than putting her in multiple schools over the years.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    usmom3
    by BJ on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Nope we don't fit in to ether of them.

Gumberly
    by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    I homeschool for many reason not just "this one or that one."
    I think homeschoolers have always been pretty diverse it's just that the public has so many assumptions about "what a homeschooler is" rather it's true or not.
    somuchlove4U
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    1 mom liked this
    I dont fit either of those groups. I started out homeschooling because I wasn't happy with the school system.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    rowansmum
    by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    Nope, I'd love to live off the grid but its not happening anytime soon and that had nothing to do with it.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Knightquester
    by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM

No we don't homeschool for either of those two reasons, we homeschool because the children want to and we're dedicated to sticking with it as long as they're thriving and it's working well for all involved.  The children are getting a secular education, and we don't dislike or hate the public schools near us.

mem82
    by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Eh, I fall into both of those but none of those reasons. LOL Since we are HS I can teach our kids our religious views, easier. We do kind of dance to our own beat though definitely not off the grid. We're politically Independent and pick and chose from several ideas and that's the way we homeschool, too. It's a lonely spot, actually, sometimes.

Anna92464
    by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I homeschool because I think there is more freedom and learning with homeschooling.  My child can eat nutritious food, get plenty of fresh air and sunshine,  socialize with whomever he chooses no matter what age, and not have to put up with people who treat him badly.  He can go home, fight, talk it out, get help from someone else and choose never to be around that person if he doesn't want to (which is saner than school).  He can learn what he wants, when he wants, develop self-discipline rather than imposed discipline, and he is allowed to think for himself, even if I think he's wrong.  We are a religious family, and I would love to live off the grid (I don't), but that isn't why we homeschool.

globalhorse45
    by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Dh and I are in agreement that our children will never enter PS in America or UK/Europe.  I told Dh if there is no Islamic school then they will be homeschooled.  I am going to (hopefully) do a trial run of Pre-K, if not able to then a trial run of Kindergarten. It will depend on A. how old the child is and B. where I am college wise (on  my schedule).  I also do not like how school has changed since I was a child in the 90s.  Teachers can no longer be creative in their lesson plans and have to teach to the 'state tests'.  Special education children are shunned and lose out as well as gifted children (which I believe also counts as special needs) are left out as teachers have to 'dumb down' curriculum.  School lunches suck (at least all the schools I went to they sucked).

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN