Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you teach Grammar?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM
  • 7 Replies

what do you use?

do you teach the kids diagramming?

hints tips

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I'm honestly thinking of skipping sentence diagramming. I mean, it never taught me anything, and I never used it after 10th grade.  I think speaking properly, and having them write often is one of the best ways. Of course, grammar basics should be a part of things, but the best way to pick it up is practice practice practice!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM

We talk to them & when they use pore grammer we correct it!

Danielle163
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Right now (for DD's 3rd grade) we are using First Language Lessons. It is very thorough and gets the job done, but also sometimes boring.  (We threw out Writing With Ease as DD just HATED it and I didn't want her disliking L.A. class) Next year we are going to experiment with SOS L.A. as DD really likes a computer-tutor.

As for the diagramming....some days it goes well and others not so much. I think for us, we could do without it.

peacelovingmom
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Analytical Grammar and I love it and so does my daughter.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM

We used the Spectrum workbook to get the basics down, and now we're writing stories and constantly bringing up the basics while writing.  Most stories aren't long, and may not even get finished...as long as she writes for 15 min - 30 min...how ever long she wants to go for... and then we go over the grammar and spelling.  I circle what is incorrect, and ask her if she knows why its not correct and if she can't remember, we quick go over it again, and she promptly fixes it. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM
We are going to start next year. I'll have to come back with the name of the book!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

we use rod and staff and a large piece of paper!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)