Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How would you make a curriculum or lessons out of this?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM
  • 10 Replies
I've found tons of really nice text books and stuff at goodwill and at a dollar or two each I just can't pass it up.

Now I've gotta figure out how to use them without the teachers copy.

Any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hipmamma83
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM
What ages are they for ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Read a few chapters in each book and make sure you understand the material. Then, print off some correlating worksheets and experiments. BOOM! A lesson plan. In school, they usually do a chapter a week.

victoriaherring
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM
I've gotten them for all ages. I'm focussing on preschool-2nd grade. My daughter isn't even 2 so we haven't started yet.. I'm just obsessed with being prepared. Lol

Quoting hipmamma83:

What ages are they for ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM

oh yes make some unit studies,

can you tell us the names of them? that might help

you could read a few pages to the kids and have them tell you what they heard, they can draw pictures of what you read,

if there's areas they are interested in let them do some research on it, and then tell you about it

make a timeline so you can put on it all that you study in the appropriate years

a lot of text books you dont need the teachers book!

victoriaherring
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

These are the ones i bought this week. I'm out of town so I can't get to the ones I've already got. One of them is a science book for 1st grade I think and it's by McGraw-hill.

Quoting oredeb:

you could read a few pages to the kids and have them tell you what they heard, they can draw pictures of what you read,

if there's areas they are interested in let them do some research on it, and then tell you about it

make a timeline so you can put on it all that you study in the appropriate years

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

ohhh nice books!!

like i mentioned before, you can read a couple pages aday to them, do some narration, check on the internet for some craft ideas in the same area as you reading, games,

now with the 2nd grader she can probably read herself? if so asign her a few pages each day, ask her to tell what she read, you can have her write what she read also, that would take care of handwriting and writing!, find art project she can do, you can make up a worksheet about what she read and she can answer it, have her keep a journal to write  the handwriting things in,

also ask the kids if theres anything they want to learn about and you can do some research about it and present them with it, using library books to read, worksheets, art projects, etc

keeping a timeline i think i already mentioned that 

Quoting victoriaherring:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

These are the ones i bought this week. I'm out of town so I can't get to the ones I've already got. One of them is a science book for 1st grade I think and it's by McGraw-hill.

Quoting oredeb:

nikki0522
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

The Learn at Home book is a full curriculum that is already laid out for you. You will just need to look at the lesson plans for each week, get the necessary books from the library and add in any supplemental materials that you want.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Interesting book selection.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I would just look ahead through the books and build my own lesson plans from them.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM

If your daughter is only 2 years old, you have plenty of time to read through the books and search online for sheets and activities to supplement your books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN