Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Current Events?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 5:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

Do you make sure to cover current events with your kids?  How do you go about doing that?  I think it's important my kids know what's going on in the world around them, but at the same time, I think the media can be the worse place for kids to get the news from (my oldest is 9)... any ideas on how to get the current events information to them in a good way that also teaches them how to find out the information for themselves?

by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 5:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM

We subscribe to the local newspaper.  There are some bad things, but we sit down and talk about them.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Um, not too much. My kids know who the pesident is and they know that the US is at war but, no, we don't focus too much on them.

oredeb
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

well we discuss whats happening, we like to sit around the table and do it, nothing formal, they just seem to pick up on stuff! yesterday someone heard about mt etna errupting so i had them go look it up, interesting they all were!

i do make sure they know whats going on politically around our area, about the wars, and the president stuff going on now, the kids sure have their own opinions!!!

there use to be kids newspapers like weekly reader, scholastic reader, gods world that you could buy for current activities,

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I talk to them about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
globalhorse45
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM

When I did Current Events in 9th grade we had to write the five W's (WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY, and HOW) and used a textbook.  I don't remember what the textbook was called sadly.  I think we had to write a response to whatever we read using the five W's.  I haven't really thought of how to teach current events.

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Quoting globalhorse45:

When I did Current Events in 9th grade we had to write the five W's (WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY, and HOW) and used a textbook.  I don't remember what the textbook was called sadly.  I think we had to write a response to whatever we read using the five W's.  I haven't really thought of how to teach current events.

We had to do that in high school too- I think it was pretty helpful.  I think when the kids get older that would be something to do for sure.  Thanks!

Venanya
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Sort of...we don't really get into politics, but he knows who is running for president and we've discussed our thoughts on what we've heard about them. We discuss the court system based on the big court cases you can't escape if you watch national morning news...which I'm guilty of doing. Basically, we start our day listening to the news as we do other things - my older kids get ready for school, my husband gets ready for work, and my mother helps me get them all ready. My homeschooled child usually does some talking. We talk about the current events if we hear it amid the other activities for that hour. All but my oldest son listen closely to the weather to help plan our week. My oldest is still pouting over the former meterologist taking a job in a different state. He said she was easy to wake up to. We get our weekly local paper on Wednesday's. Usually my mom reads it and then I do. Then we start discussing it in front of my son and he picks it up and reads through it so he can comment on it as well. When the other two get back home, he informs them of the weekly news. They may or may not care. lol.

itsrks
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

We used the World and I online resource. You have to purchase a yearly subscription. (Look at the Homeschool Buyer Co-op for a discount.) Besides having a ton of resources you can use, you can sign up for weekly updates to current events. These events are significant world activities and are actually interesting. You won't find the usual emotionally charged drama news you see on TV but highlights of major world events.

Or, you can look for the articles in the latest online version of the magazine.

Check it out at www.worldandi.com

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

LOL I like certain weather people, too!

Quoting Venanya:

Sort of...we don't really get into politics, but he knows who is running for president and we've discussed our thoughts on what we've heard about them. We discuss the court system based on the big court cases you can't escape if you watch national morning news...which I'm guilty of doing. Basically, we start our day listening to the news as we do other things - my older kids get ready for school, my husband gets ready for work, and my mother helps me get them all ready. My homeschooled child usually does some talking. We talk about the current events if we hear it amid the other activities for that hour. All but my oldest son listen closely to the weather to help plan our week. My oldest is still pouting over the former meterologist taking a job in a different state. He said she was easy to wake up to. We get our weekly local paper on Wednesday's. Usually my mom reads it and then I do. Then we start discussing it in front of my son and he picks it up and reads through it so he can comment on it as well. When the other two get back home, he informs them of the weekly news. They may or may not care. lol.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM

We did something similar in 8th grade. We had to know about five currant events or newspaper headlines, every day in class.

Quoting gacgbaker:

Quoting globalhorse45:

We had to do that in high school too- I think it was pretty helpful.  I think when the kids get older that would be something to do for sure.  Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)