Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New rules

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

The curriculum my child use consists of all workbooks. You have so many work books per subject for each year. I am sick of always hearing them complain so I made new rules!

• ONE FULL book is to be done each day which means you will finish FIVE books per week.
  • Nobody likes math so get over it and just do it!
  • Unless your test is to see how well you complain I don't want to hear it.
  • If you do not finish the days work it will carry over to the next day.
  • If you do not have 5 completed books on Friday you will NOT be leaving the house.
  • When I say it is time for homework that probably means NOW
  • If you are not throwing up, burning up with a fever, or on your death bed do not try to come up with excuses!

My 2 boys are 11 and 13 they are perfectly able to do 1 book a day and still have tons of free time. It is sad how much time I have to spend fighting with them considering my oldest son scored college level on his SATs when he was in 4th grade!

by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM

LOL

I like the Math rule! 8)

oredeb
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

yea!!!!! go for it imtheonlysane1!!!!!

good to see a mom put her foot down! you are the authority figure in the house not the kids! what you say goes!!! yea!!!

imtheonlysane1
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Thank you for the kindness. I am just so sick of hearing constant complaining and having a constant battle over something that should be so simple! They don't want to go to public school but they don't want to do school work for me either so I am guessing my kids would prefer to be hamburger flippers for the rest of their lives!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Maybe they are board with the work, you did say that the oldest scored a collage level on SAT!

imtheonlysane1
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I have tried giving harder work - it isn't that the work it to easy - they simply do not want to do it.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Personally I would ease up and give some options and let them design their own curriculum but that is me.  Are they able to study things they are interested in?  I am not sure the rules will help them enjoy what they are studying.  I do hope they work for you though.  Good luck.

imtheonlysane1
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I have tried that method and it didn't work at all. I do use that method with DD though and it works well. I have no problem with enjoying what they are studying but the truth of the matter is that it HAS to be done even if it is not fun. Right now the only things that they find even remotely fun are computer and video games and as it turns out that will not get them into a college.

Quoting jen2150:

Personally I would ease up and give some options and let them design their own curriculum but that is me.  Are they able to study things they are interested in?  I am not sure the rules will help them enjoy what they are studying.  I do hope they work for you though.  Good luck.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I wish you the best and hope everything works well for everyone.  Have a great week.  

Quoting imtheonlysane1:

I have tried that method and it didn't work at all. I do use that method with DD though and it works well. I have no problem with enjoying what they are studying but the truth of the matter is that it HAS to be done even if it is not fun. Right now the only things that they find even remotely fun are computer and video games and as it turns out that will not get them into a college.

Quoting jen2150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)