Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you think??

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you think Kindergarten is really necessary?

If your child can name the parts of his or hers body, knows their shapes and colors , can count up to 50, knows letters and number can do basic addition , is beginning to read. Could we review kinder and move on to 1st??

What do you all think?

by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

i dont think its necessary, when a child is ready hes ready! grades levels dont matter! we never kept grade levels, and it didnt hurt us any! just my opinion for my family!

calimom1123
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Just go to where your child is acedemically. My dd is 7 doing 3rd/4th grade work now. I just let her go at her own pace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I don't use grades so no I don't think it is necessary!

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I personally think they get a lot from kinder. Especially in phonics and different letter combinations (digraphs) and learning how to code words and whatnot. Math also incompasses being able to read a calendar, subtraction, telling time. I also think it depends on how you decide to homeschool. Social Studies is mostly about what makes up a community, a little about the president, and state stuff. Science is mostly about the weather, magnets and water.

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I agree but I don't think it has to be done at 5. I think each child is differant. We started that at 3 and 4.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I never did K.  I actually didn't start any school until at least age 6. Most of mine still graduated early so I know it doesn't make any difference to start early.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

I agree but I don't think it has to be done at 5. I think each child is differant. We started that at 3 and 4.

You started Kindergarten level stuff at age 3 and 4?  Just wondering because my 5 and a half year old who wanted nothing to do with learning finally seems ready to school, and my 3 and 4 year old are begging me to do it, so I decided to just start them all on Kindergarten stuff at the same time to make things easier for me.  I'm not sure how far we will get before someone jumps ahead or if the little ones will lose interest/fall behind, but for now its working.  But to answer your question - I think grade levels are just a guideline and many homeschoolers don't strictly follow them.  My 7 year old is in 2nd grade on some subjects and 1st grade in others.  Also, my uninterested 5 year old already knows all the K math stuff so I'm thinking of skipping it and jumping right into 1st grade math with him if he's interested. 

globalhorse45
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
No. Dh said to me that K is optional and most parents just send their kids straight to 1st grade in Middle East. I believe this is the same with many European countries, the kids don't start until 7 years old and go straight to first grade.
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

You started Kindergarten level stuff at age 3 and 4?  Just wondering because my 5 and a half year old who wanted nothing to do with learning finally seems ready to school, and my 3 and 4 year old are begging me to do it, so I decided to just start them all on Kindergarten stuff at the same time to make things easier for me.  I'm not sure how far we will get before someone jumps ahead or if the little ones will lose interest/fall behind, but for now its working.  But to answer your question - I think grade levels are just a guideline and many homeschoolers don't strictly follow them.  My 7 year old is in 2nd grade on some subjects and 1st grade in others.  Also, my uninterested 5 year old already knows all the K math stuff so I'm thinking of skipping it and jumping right into 1st grade math with him if he's interested. 

Yes she was 3 when we started. She has an older sister. So she want to be big and do school also. We are doing mostly 1st grade except for reading. We are learning to read now. My son is older  now and nurses less and entertains him self more so we have been working on reading.

buzymom93
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

skip it! 

thats one of the joys of homeschooling! you can work at your child's pace

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, boys... Mario, 19yrs, and Isaiah, 6yrs

Check out my blog:    http://ourcrazyhomeschoollife.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)