Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Am I doing enough?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son is 5 1/2 and would be in Kindergarten in public school. He can read VERY well, though I haven't checked the grade level (should I??) and write, and do math (mostly adding.) We have a few workbooks that we work out of for those things. He also knows the days of the week, months in the year, and he's learning time and money (a bit.) We only work on workbooks maybe 3 days a week. He also has a basic skills music class once a week and a soccer class once a week.

Is that enough? We talk about anything and everything he's curious about, I just wondering if I should be doing more "structured learning" with him. I tried the K-12 program for about a month and I didn't like it, but it seemed like there was a lot of stuff in their curriculum. I just don't want him to be behind when he starts public school either in first or second grade (which I know he will be because I am going through a divorce and will not be a SAHM mom anymore once that's all said and done.)

Hannah

Work from home LDS mom of 2 crazy little boys   

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hottmommi42
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM
My experience w ps k has been they teach a lot of social rules and phonics. Not much else. Sounds like your lo will be ahead if nothing else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Yes I would think so.
oredeb
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM

wow i think your doing a great job with him, do you have to send him to school?

h_minkus
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I can't see how not to....I would love to keep home schooling, but I am going to have to support myself somehow so I can only see having to put him in ps and my other 2 in daycare. :(

Thank you though, it makes me feel better. I agree that they don't seem to teach much other than "rules" in Kindergarten...

Quoting oredeb:

Hannah

wright1212
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM

First on your ?.. I use lessonpathways.com it has some really great social studies and science topics. But for fun you could use any of those 2 subject and turn them into reading and math lessons. Like charting weather then write key words, then read a book like 'it looked like spilt milk'.

Second-what kind of job are you looking at? Could you work at home? Do you have anyone that could watch them while you work parttime? Could you watch other kids while homeschooling to supplement income. Was the father ever fully into the homeschooling, meaning would he help support that for their sake? (i understand that is a loaded ?, but just something you can think on, not something you have to share if you dont want to)

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Since you want to put him into the public schools, here is some information on grade level requirements for the Public Schools .  But personally, I think you are doing better than most of the prek schools. 

oredeb
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

what about some kinda work at home? teaching kids at your home, babysitting, sewing, ....

Quoting h_minkus:

I can't see how not to....I would love to keep home schooling, but I am going to have to support myself somehow so I can only see having to put him in ps and my other 2 in daycare. :(

Thank you though, it makes me feel better. I agree that they don't seem to teach much other than "rules" in Kindergarten...

Quoting oredeb:

h_minkus
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Well, I don't have any special skills like sewing. I can't imagine doing child care with three of my own kids at home and managing my college classes on the side. 

But I'm open to ideas! Thanks all!

Quoting oredeb:

what about some kinda work at home? teaching kids at your home, babysitting, sewing, ....

Quoting h_minkus:

Quoting oredeb:

Hannah

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN