Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling is making me sooo ....

What??? What have you noticed that you are more aware of since homeschooling ...

For me it's being nitpicky with grammar!  LMAO I was reading the Dept. of Education thread and the comment was...

not to trust them with our kids  PERIOD?

I looek at it and thought - with our kids that's the prepositional phrase! 

I find myself doing this will all sorts of things, board posts, other kid's writing (like my Scouts), and I just sit here and laugh.. not at their typos but at my brain for sitting there doing grammar when I post!

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 3:11 AM
Replies (11-19):
DYvetteS
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM

sometimes i feel like im not getting through to the kids or that they are not where they should be, is it normal to feel tht way sometimes...I fel like sometimes i am learning at same time my daughter is on some stuff..

vsjc
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM
I've always been obsessed with people speaking properly. When my daughter went to public pre-school and came home saying words like "aint" I about came unglued! I even correct my husband all the time when he's in conversation with me... Or when he answers the phone and someone asks for "Jim," and he says, "This is him." That bugs me! It's "This is HE!" Lol PS- Jimmy is smarter than I in just about every subject, but I score higher on I.Q. tests. Anyone want to touch on that?
To answer the question regarding what I am more aware of since homeschooling... it would have to be my children's laughter, and their reading abilities. My third grader reads faster than I do (and retains it all)! Another thing is the Roman Numeral System. I didn't learn that in public school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Homeschooling has taught me most of all to be in awe of the awesome world that we live in.  It is truly amazing.  I have gained a love for science and the rich history of all the men and women that have furthured scientific thought over the centuries.  I am seeing the world through the eyes of my children.  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Much to the dismay of my niece and her friends, I'm a grammar nazi on their facebook pages lol.  The use all the "text speak" and slang and flat out misspelled words!! Granted I know my spelling and grammar are far from perfect, especially when typing online, but I'm not purposly doing it!  I've on numerous occasions asked my niece for a translation for what her status says.  She no longer post status updates with poor grammar and intentionally misspelled words. (Part of her being allowed to have a facebook is that I have to be a friend and she can't block me from anything, otherwise she probably would've a long time ago lol. She also wouldn't dare to mess with her mamma's rules since thats the kind of kid she is.) I find it hillarious though that her friends keep friend requesting me, and shortly later they unfriend me because they want to be able to misspell in peace lol.
Other things I've noticed though would be how much you actually learn in social studies.  I hated it growing up. I think I've been able to find a way to make the "O SO BORING" subject (says my daughter...and me lol) into at least a little fun. Lots more projects where she doesn't even notice she's learning.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I love 'relearning' stuff. It brings some of the wonder of the world back.

Sometimes, I feel the same way. Depending on the situiation, I back off or just keep reviewing.

Quoting DYvetteS:

sometimes i feel like im not getting through to the kids or that they are not where they should be, is it normal to feel tht way sometimes...I fel like sometimes i am learning at same time my daughter is on some stuff..

suziejax
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM

LOl thats how I am 

vsjc
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Isn't Mamma, Mama, and hillarious, hilarious? :)

Quoting No_Difference:

Much to the dismay of my niece and her friends, I'm a grammar nazi on their facebook pages lol.  The use all the "text speak" and slang and flat out misspelled words!! Granted I know my spelling and grammar are far from perfect, especially when typing online, but I'm not purposly doing it!  I've on numerous occasions asked my niece for a translation for what her status says.  She no longer post status updates with poor grammar and intentionally misspelled words. (Part of her being allowed to have a facebook is that I have to be a friend and she can't block me from anything, otherwise she probably would've a long time ago lol. She also wouldn't dare to mess with her mamma's rules since thats the kind of kid she is.) I find it hillarious though that her friends keep friend requesting me, and shortly later they unfriend me because they want to be able to misspell in peace lol.
Other things I've noticed though would be how much you actually learn in social studies.  I hated it growing up. I think I've been able to find a way to make the "O SO BORING" subject (says my daughter...and me lol) into at least a little fun. Lots more projects where she doesn't even notice she's learning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM

My keys stick (down side to this laptop) and I didn't use spell check ;) lol I also know my spelling and grammar are far from perfect especially when typing online :)

Quoting vsjc:

Isn't Mamma, Mama, and hillarious, hilarious? :)

Quoting No_Difference:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Makes me so....interested in finding all the holes in my own education. I feel like a learning detective.

And I've found that HS makes me turn even the most mundane experiences into educational opportunities. Have to do laundry? Well there's a history lesson in the making. Imagine how a slave must have felt. Going shopping? Math opportunities abound. Storm comming in? Science before our eyes! Lol I have a saying, "that's so homeschool!"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)