Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm finding this slightly insulting...

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM
  • 34 Replies

My husband is mid way through his bachelors degree and has finally taken English 101. Me being my nosy self, started "paging" through his two books he has for his two classes this quarter (he is doing school online and has e-books). The book they're having the English101 students use is beyone basic and I'm finding it as an insult to people taking the class.  I guess maybe it would be a good refresher course for those who've been out of shool for years...but still... I don't know the name of the book off hand as you can't read it as an entire book, each individual chapter is a PDF file and I don't know his log in info to be able to enter his "class room" to find that out. Anyway, I'm going over Chapter 3 since that was what was up and it goes over the 8 parts of speech and has you do exercises much like I give my second grader!!! Find the different parts of speech in these sentences and tell what they are. Except the book has the college students just write the highlighted parts of speech down...because they can't find it for themselves after the countless examples given in the chart???   Its also going over that 3-5 sentences are needed in a paragraph and that you should start your paragraphs in your main body with a topic sentence. Again...we went over that with my second grader...  I remember my hubby talking about the first few chapters going over how to brainstorm and organize your thoughts and even showed our daughter that he had to use the same "rhetorical star" (as its called in the book) we have already pinned on our learning wall.  A big star with each of the points of the star as reminders for what you are writing... Subject, audience, purpose, strategy, and design.  Granted with my daughter I do not stress strategy or design with what she writes as we haven't written research papers and her tone is usually always directed to me as of right now, but once we get more into that, then we'll go over those parts in more detail... 
I guess my point is, I'm insulted for my hubby who is forced to go over all of this again since his English credit didn't transfer over from our previous school.  This book so far has been a better tool for a second grader than it has for him, and I may actually use it for her, just replace "college" with whatever fits best in our situation.  Sorry, I had to rant.

by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM

how frustrating :(

oredeb
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this

haahhahahahaha what does that say about whats being taught in pubic school? its probably just refreshing that stuff,   they'll probably get into the deeper stuff soon! but you'd think they'd make it a bit more hard! at least your 2nd grader can use it! shes doing college work!hahaha

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll have to see if I can get him to download the rest of the chapters so I can go through it some more to see if it does get harder. If it doesn't I should have him email his teacher asking if his second grade daughter can sign up for this course so she can get college credit already lol

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 1:02 PM
I don't know. My huuby is going to school to be a teacher and in countless classes, online btw, he has been in groups where people cannot write complete sentinces or follow directions for formatting a paragraph and paper. Some of these people are substitute teachers already. It does not surprise me that the have a review like this in English 101.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ankles
by Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I take some online classes and in each class your required to write 4 essays. The instructions always start out with what the basic structure of a paragraph is and that each essay should have at least three paragraphs (intro, body, and conclusion). I always wonder who doesn't know this by college.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Many of the people in my hubby's class cannot write fro crap in the forums either, but still...this seems a little too dumbed down. Its fine if the first week is about refreshing...two at the most...but the way this book is being broken down from the little I see, the entire book, all 8 weeks, are a refresher course. I'm hoping that the "refreshing" gets more challenging as the class goes on, otherwise his class my cure me of my nosiness at least when it comes to what he's doing in school lol.

Quoting Silverkitty:

I don't know. My huuby is going to school to be a teacher and in countless classes, online btw, he has been in groups where people cannot write complete sentinces or follow directions for formatting a paragraph and paper. Some of these people are substitute teachers already. It does not surprise me that the have a review like this in English 101.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM

The online classes I've taken have been the same as well. Even hubby's history class has "how to write an essay" posted somewhere in his class along with countless links to examples (he made a point of showing me since I started complaining about his english class for him lol).

Quoting Ankles:

I take some online classes and in each class your required to write 4 essays. The instructions always start out with what the basic structure of a paragraph is and that each essay should have at least three paragraphs (intro, body, and conclusion). I always wonder who doesn't know this by college.

Ankles
by Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Quoting No_Difference:

The online classes I've taken have been the same as well. Even hubby's history class has "how to write an essay" posted somewhere in his class along with countless links to examples (he made a point of showing me since I started complaining about his english class for him lol).

Quoting Ankles:

I had no idea. It makes you wonder. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM

LOL

I remember in 9th grade, the boy behind me didn't know how to take 2 sentences and actually combine them with the word 'and'. That was just two English classes away from enough credits to graduate.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

thats terrifying. I guess it would explain the purpose of this English101 class...still, there should be a way for people who actuallly know this stuff to be able to skip it if they've been out of school for awhile or if their English classes don't transfer.

Quoting mem82:

LOL

I remember in 9th grade, the boy behind me didn't know how to take 2 sentences and actually combine them with the word 'and'. That was just two English classes away from enough credits to graduate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)