Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I will be new to homeschooling this Fall. We finally made that decision but I seem to have moments were I am second guessing myself. Do you ever second guess yourself or have those days of concern wondering if you are able to do it all?
Thanks! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Replies (11-18):
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I think some fear is good. It keeps on my toes and motivated.

Chastity512
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM
I've been doing research and I really like Horizons Alpha Omega Publications. Why about you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM
I still am not sure! Alpha Omega looks good. I'm worried Sonlight will be too much reading & I do not want to get overwhelmed. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I used to have them & on the rare occasion still do but for the most part I know that no matter how bad I might be at this I am still better then the best PS for my kids!

oredeb
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM

hi and welcome sarah!! when i first started(28 yrs ago) i did second guess myself,wondering if im doing this right or are they learning, thats just part of it  but after a year of homeschooling or so i knew i was going to do it no matter what!, stick to it, it will be worth it!

debbie

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM
I've been HSing since my oldest was preschool age, so about 8 years. It's been my experience that EVERY parent experiences such doubts occasionally. I think it makes us better teachers. We never have a chance to become complacent. You'll do great!
sweetserenit292
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

My oldest will be 5 in July who will be homeschooled for Kindergarten, I have a 3yr old and baby #3 due this July.  I know what you mean.  I have been doing preschool stuff with my 4yr old and sometimes my 3 yr old joins in and sometimes he plays in the living room while I will work with my oldest.  I kept it to no more than 30 min at a time and twice a day.  As for Kindergarten next year, I will probably break it down into small chunks as well.

My husband is very supportive and keeps reminding me (when I start doubting) that I can do it.  Sometimes I feel prey to society when others start t talking about how ...public school and being away from home is the best because it teaches independence and how they will be able to function in the "real world" .  

But then another news story comes on about the public schools, and I feel it's God's way of reassuring me that I am choosing the right thing to do.  lol 

We are 2500 miles away from family and live in a small town (3000 people).   Luckily we do have a good mixture of homeschoolers but there is no organized groups and is very hard to discover connections.

My hardest part is choosing a curriculum and everytime I have decided then I start wondering if I am making the right choice? Am I choosing too much after all he will only be in kindergarten? I did teach kindergarten for a year in VA  so you think I would be more confident and I am not.   :-)   

I did take the first step and called Dept of Education and notified them my intent next year and they are sending me a packet of information and the official form to sign.  I figured once I did this I would be less willing to change my mind.  hehe

Quoting Saraho5:

Mine will be a first grader (6), PreK (3), and I also have a one year old. Sooo, I don't plan on doing "a lot" with the 3/4 year old. I'm just concerned how can I keep the younger ones entertained while trying to give quality info/time to my first grader?!?!

Saraho5
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Thanks for all of your kind words & encouragement! It is nice to know I'm not alone. From everything I have read and heard, this undertaking is so worth it & won't be regretted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN