Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Favorite math & literacy curriculum?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM
  • 8 Replies
Do you have a favorite math curriculum? Literacy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
vsjc
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:02 AM
We use Horizons math. It teaches in a spiral technique, where new things are introduced daily and topics introduced previously are reintroduced through the year. The kids don't get bored this way, and are mastering concepts over time, without even realizing it. Plus, Horizons well prepares the kids for future math learning.
We are using JacKris Publishing for literacy. There are three books per kid with one daily lesson each. One is Grammar, one Writing, and one Spelling and Vocab. We don't always follow the "one" lesson a day. Sometimes my girls will do several lessons in writing one day, for example, because they lead up to each other, and they don't want to lose their train of thought. I will say that the spelling words are too easy for my daughter, so I recommend buying one grade level ahead in Spelling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

We are using the Life of Fred books because they are fun & silly & that is what my kids like (to have fun & enjoy the things they learn) & we are loving it!

We just reads tons of all kinds of books for Literacy, I think it is silly to use a curriculum for reading!

oredeb
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM

oh yes ive used saxon math for the last 22 years!

for literacy- lots of books from library, and lots of writing help from internet and rod and staff enlish books

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Oh we've tried so many math programs! Saxon was torture, Life of Fred was ridiculous, Singapore was just odd (these are OUR reasons; I'm well aware that those programs work wonderfully for others).

We finally gave in and tried CLE math. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. It works beautifully for my mathy child.

Literacy? Do you mean reading comprehension?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Well, I am struggling with this at the moment. We used saxon for the first half of the year, and were bored to tears and very frustrated. (not because it was hard, but the repetitiveness and length of lessons).
We have been using life of Fred for three weeks. At first it seemed great, but after nearly finishing the book ($16.95) in three weeks doing a lesson a day it is not only expensive, but we have found it is kind of... I don't even know what to say. Pointless? Every chapter almost has talked about adding 3+4=7 and then talks about algebra being 3x+4x=7x Then it talks about sets, and pretty much a bunch of things that have nothing to do with math. I like that it incorporates science (deciduous trees, etc) and tells it like a story, but seriously it would take forever to learn anything because it talks about the same thing and irrelevant things so much.

So we will probably go back to saxon until next year. I'm going to a homeschool convention in April and plan on doing some serious research.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM
I've looked into Math U See. Seems to be hands on which is what we want!

As far as literacy (phonics, spelling, comprehension, etc)... I'm at a loss!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gumberly
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM
We use Math U See for math. Right now we are working through Alpha. I am going to add "challenging word problems" and math mammoth's money and time books to supplement the areas I think are a little weak. I would much rather supplement weak areas then change programs completely.
We were using Horizon but my son got fried half way through the year. Since we switched he has been flying along and has told me several times how much he likes math now.
For literacy I read to him a lot. We are starting first language lessons for the well trained mind this week and writing with ease(although I may delay it a little longer not sure yet). We use Spell to write and read for spelling/reading. We aren't as far as I would like but we are making progress.
Lynette
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I like

Math U See

and

Sing, Spell, Read, & Write

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of  boys ages 6 and 9 and a 3yr old girl.  Baby #4 coming April 2012.  Living in WI. 

Come join me in LDS Homeschoolers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN