Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Did you give your child an option?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:26 AM
  • 29 Replies

When you decided to homeschool, did you give your child any say in if they were homeschooled or not?  I was talking to a few friends that went with the homeschooling option, and when their kids were old enough, they allowed them to decide if they stuck with homeschool or went to public school... what do you think your kids would decide?

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christine0813
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Not with my younger son. We really had no choice. We could not afford his private school tuition and we weren't sending him to our public school. (School is in academic emergency.)

With my older son, he could have stayed in private school because he had an Edchoice scholarship. He approached me about home-school. I think he felt left out because he would have two siblings at home.

After many conversations with him about what would happen, and once he was home, he could never go back because he would lose his scholarship...he was all for it.

So, here we are. In our first year of home-school. I'm really enjoying it. Never, ever did I think I would home-school my kids. Thought it was the 'norm' to go to public or private school.

My kids will not have a choice of going to a public school till we can move from our current city.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I plan on doing this year by year and as he gets older will allow him the option to try ps if that is something he wants to do at some point.

vsjc
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM
My daughters previously went to public school. This is their first year home schooled and neither one wants to go back. When weather is nice, we do our work outside various places around town, or sleep in if we need to, and the public school Principal can't call SRS because I choose to keep my daughter home for three days because 9 of her 13 public school classmates have head lice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM
3 moms liked this

Nope,  I feel that as parents we are to make the decisions that are best for our children.  I did have a couple kids that expressed that they wanted to go to high school but I told them it would never, ever happen.  Those two are grown now (ages 31 and 29) and are glad that I did what I knew was best.  The 31 yr old was managing a store when he was 17 and the 29 yr old was in college when he was 16.  Neither could have done what the did in life if they had been stuck in ps.  Both of them now make really good money in their fields.   Well they are both actually in oilfield.  The 31 yr old is a manager in his field of oilfield work and the 29 yr old does oilfield plus owns a taxi company.   So yes, they are glad that mom and dad knew AND did what was best :)

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM

My oldest was begging me to let him stay home because the PS was so bad for him, so he did have a say in it. My younger 2 have always been homeschooled & PS is never going to be an option as long as it is conducted the way it is. The only way I would consider PS is if the whole system was done away with & replaced by something completely different then it is now.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this
Nope. I don't let the kids decide where we live, what job DH has, etc. they love HS and have never been to pS, my youngest likes the elementary schools have playgrounds and insists they play on them all day, no matter what we say. So they have no choice. It's our job as their parent, IMO, to make the big decisions.
oredeb
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

hahah no way did i give my kids an option!hahaha they were to young to choose!  even when older they never got the option! im the parent they are the children, what i say goes or went!hahahaha

Danielle163
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

My DD asked to be removed from ps. She had just turned seven. She was being bullied & shunned by the other kids. While she's still happy (two years later) that she is at home, she ( a lot of the time) feels that she is the only girl  that is homeschooled.We have an over abundance of child/adult bullies here and have very limited resources/activities. It has been incredibly overwhelming and tough. But also gratifying because I get to witness DD learning right in front of me.

imtheonlysane1
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

My oldest 2 sons begged to be home schooled but my daughter never had the option since she is only 5.

However, my daughter is begging me to let her go to "real" school next year and our grade school schools are really good here so I am thinking of sending her next year. I am also thinking of sending my middle son to public school next year but I am not sure how long it will last. My oldest son is Type 1 and will NEVER go back to public school because they will not allow him to carry his supplies with him which means he spends more time in the nurses office then he does in school.

Like I said I think I will try my other 2 in PS next year. It is a very tough choice but I have been feeling a bit overhwhelmed and I have a baby on the way.

mrsjones2207
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope...They will be HS'd until they gratuate...I dont see the point in having them be advanced just to send them into a failing system. As the parent HS is the best for our family and Im sure when they are old enough they will understand....besides with as much as they are involved in they couldnt go to PS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN