Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Did you give your child an option?

Posted by   + Show Post

When you decided to homeschool, did you give your child any say in if they were homeschooled or not?  I was talking to a few friends that went with the homeschooling option, and when their kids were old enough, they allowed them to decide if they stuck with homeschool or went to public school... what do you think your kids would decide?

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:26 AM
Replies (21-29):
ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Nope. She was told she would never go to a "normal" school (shes in K). I moved to my area in 8th grade and feel like the PS's here failed me. I was a great student, grades were amazing until we moved here. By middle school for my youngest brother my parents finally pulled him to HS. My youngest sis goes to an alternative highschool. (My other two siblings either graduated early or HS only for 1-2yrs in highschool.I was never HS)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM

My children have that option.  All four have decided to stay  homeschooled for their own reasons which I respect.  They don't dislike or hate public school, and all but one have been.

One of my children learns math differently then the public school teaches, she now loves math and excels in it.  One is two grade levels ahead of her peers and just wants to learn at her own pace w/o being held back.  One is slightly dyslexic but because of homeschooling you would hardly know it, she is confident and is advanced in her grade.  My youngest, the only one that has never been to public school, heard how many hours kids go to school and wanted no part of it.  He's the type that likes to lie on his belly and finish his work so he can go off and do his own thing.

sprout18
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM

My children have tried public school and they choose homeschooling! We homeschooled from the beginning but last year we put them in school - we pulled them after the first parent teacher conference in early Nov. This year since we had moved we tried again because the elementary school they would go to is the best in the county and they were all for it. After about a month the younger two started asking to come home, my first grader was bored to tears and my 2nd grader didn't like it, however my 4th grader did. After being home on Christmas break they went back to school and 2 days later all of them were begging to come back home - even the 4th grader!! They all did great on their report cards and all of them were in the average or above average math and reading classes (my 2nd grader was in the lower reading class but he was the top student there- he does struggle with reading)  they just didn't enjoy school the way they did at home and they were hardly ever challenged. We pulled them and they will never go back to public school again!

Ericka - mom to 4 crazy boys Will (8/02), Aiden (1/04), Andrew (8/05) and Zach (4/08)!

adelphi13
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM

We didn't because my husband travels a lot for work and it is the only way we can stay together as a family.  I also do not like the public schools and the private school I do like is too far away and too expensive for our growing family.  My oldest does not want to go to school out of the house nor does my middle child.  They are happy staying together and with the experiences they get out of being homeschooled.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM

We made the decision to homeschool my son after issues with his teacher in the classroom.  We did discuss it with him before we pulled him out of PS right before Christmas vacation.  We started homeschooling at the beginning of this year and my son has already asked to be homeschooled next year also.  We will take it year by year and see how it goes.

Janis198
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

All my kids are in public school, my 7 year old has been begging me for a couple months to be homeschooled. So I said yes to her.  She will start on the 27th at home. 

TeddiChi
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 3:10 AM
I had no choice, I had to homeschool my oldest, then when DS2 became school ready we just continued on. Now that they are older, we did ask if they would like to attend normal school but lucky neither would. DD is almost 5 and I just started her with her own books and stuff. She loves it. Was in nursery school for a year and cried every day, so when she got sick, (pneumonia) and ended up in hosp for a week, we decided not to send her back. She has allergies that can be aggravated by any child carrying a bug, that's how she became sick in the first place. But she is so happy not to have to go back. She tells me she hated it, I knw only 5, but she knws enough to know she did not like it. So we are lucky in that, our kids are happy to be home schooled. They still have plenty of friends and they do outside sport, so I don't think they are missing out on anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2theboy1994
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM
This is our second time homeschooling. We hs'ed for seventh and eighth grade, and are in the process of finishing eleventh grade. He will graduate a homeschooler. Both times have been at the request of my son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krazymama4
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

i give mine a choice every year so that they have an active role in their schooling choices

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)